Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Women for Bikes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Site Admin

Question What do you expect of a good bike shop

...and I mean that "you" as in woman!
My 3 partners and I are going to open a bike shop and we really(!) want to make if woman- and family-friendly... and, yes, I know, it is not the same!
So what are your ideas about what constitutes a woman-friendly bike shop?

Last edited by K'Tesh; 08-07-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Site Admin

Surprised you haven't gotten any responses yet Todd....
Here's my 2 cents....

My biggest suggestion is one that is not so women-specific: friendly, knowlegable staff - hard to find, hard to keep but worth it. Nobody likes to feel intimidated, especially newbies who might be women. And if you *do* know what you're talking about its pretty irritating to be patted on the head and treated like an idiot.

I'm betting your shop will have plenty of products that are uber practical for everyday riding, but another suggestion is to have pretty, hip, gear.

As an example of what I'm talking about, I refer you to Basil:
http://www.basil.nl/home.asp?lang=3

Todd Boulanger donated a Mirte bag by Basil to the Alice Awards silent auction and I was smitten.

This product review says it all for me:
http://www.thelondoncyclist.com/zz04...28_LC_0405.pdf
Old 04-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Site Admin

Y'know what would be nice, and would make me go out of my way to visit your shop (and possibly shop there)? A good selection of women's cycling gear. 99% of the places you go to have rack after rack (and page after page in their catalogs) of gear for men, and only one measly rack (or one page, in their catalogs) of everything they carry for women, including gloves, shorts, jerseys, etc.

And I'm not talking about "shrink it and pink it" clothing, I'm talking about the cool jerseys (Primal Wear has lots of great stuff) and nice shorts. Enough of the pastels, we want the cool Led Zep jersey too!

GOOD customer service is also a big plus. Helpful staff willing to give some advice about all kinds of stuff. I understand that they gotta get paid somehow, and telling me how to do the maintenance is not in their best interest. I'd leave the big stuff to them, anyway, I'm capable of cleaning and lubing my chain.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Site Admin

Wink Thanks for the feedback

...but Todd is not the only one in the family with a bike...although he has been the reason why I never needed to go to a bike shop...

So, ok...
No head patting -- I suspected that
Knowledgeable staff -- working on that!
Basil stuff -- yeah, we (ok, Todd!) it checked out and we will have some paniers and bags that are NOT black... there is also a great German firm we are looking into...
Cool Jerseys and shorts -- we are trying to focus more on plain-clothes riding, but we are definitely thinking along the lines of cool rain wear, pants that don't get caught in the chain and fun accessories... I am hoping that at one point we might be able to have a separate section dedicated to clothing...

Again, thanks for the feedback...
Mrs Chimp

Last edited by Chimponbike; 04-25-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:30 PM
Site Admin

Default two cents

Previous posters have pretty much covered it all, but I might want to add a few things:

- Organized rides, especially women-only rides. It's great because it promotes your business for you (more people on their bikes = more customers), but also because it keeps your shop involved in the neighborhood. I like a bike shop that feels like it's part of my community, not just a big vendor. REI has tons of bike gear, but I'll always spend my money at a shop where I've had a fun afternoon with the workers.

- Have a woman in your repair/maintenence department. Seeing another woman with bike grease under her fingernails inspires me to attempt bold new feats of bike mechanics on my own, and makes me love bikes even more. Who wants to go to a workshop full of guys that throw around jargon just to impress the lil' lady?

Thanks for asking!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Site Admin

Default Dumb!

Are you trying to be in business or trying to make friends?

By excluding half of your potential customers base, you are missing the point of what it means to do business!
Old 06-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Site Admin

How is striving to make a bike shop woman and family friendly "excluding" half of a potential customer base?

Nishiki, all you do is make disparaging, negative posts. Does someone piss in your cheerios every day?
Old 06-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Site Admin

I would think that trying to make a bike shop more accessible to women is a good thing.

For instance, I have been told by Performance Bike employees that their head office on the East coast doesn't think women ride bikes, or, if women ride, it's on cruisers for short distances.

Given the shortage of women-specific clothing and gear both at the local PB store as well as their online site, I believe them.

I'm not sure why someone asking how to make a bike shop for femme-friendly is being exclusive. Please explain.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Site Admin

Red face Non-racing clothes for all sizes of women, please!

I get frustrated in the women's section of every bike shop I've ever visited, including REI, because all of their biking clothes seem to be geared for skin-tight, racer sleekness and not for everyday kind of use. One ought to be able to ride a bike to conduct errands and, once off the bike, look pretty much like everyone else.

Additionally, size "large" in women's bike clothing seems to equate to a size 6. There is nothing for the normal range of U.S. women's bodies. Okay, I'm overweight now but even when I was size 8 the "large" size women's bike pants just about cut off my circulation. I'm really tired of bike clothing manufacturers not acknowledging the existence of larger women. What a smart business move it would be to have a realistic range of women's clothing! Encourage more women to ride and make it easier and more comfortable for them to ride; they'll buy their clothes, ride, lose weight, and then have to come back and buy a whole new set of clothes in a smaller size. This cycle could be repeated 2 or 3 times for some women.

I notice that Clever Cycles has a nice pair of men's wool knickers and I'm wondering if they're planning to carry something similar for women. I'll tell you one thing, if any bike store employee tries to tell me that a pair of pants is "unisex" I know they are either blowing smoke or blind. There is no way the same pair of pants can possibly be decent fitting/looking for both men and women. I would definitely lose respect for any salesperson who tried to tell me that (and their store).

I would appreciate any tips people have on where to find functional cool weather clothes women who don't look like Kate Moss could wear biking. They don't have to be specifically made for biking.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Site Admin

Default Knickers

I wanted knickers. The knickers I find in women's that do fit have tiny useless pockets and ride my hips leaving my asscrack hanging out. I'm fed up with women's cloths period. I ended up buying used pants and chopping em. Then went to Germany and realized I could have stocked up on good looking knickers there. (not expensive either)

In a bike shop:
Cool cloths in my size.
Cloths for commuting, not spandex.
Friendly helpful staff
Able to provide that little bit of extra bit of helpful info(extra mile)
But leave be when I wanna browse(not usually an issue in bike shops)
Local gear as often as possible. Not in China.
Reasonable prices on some items(I understand is local is not cheap, nor is good quality)
Tool rental and repair and truing stands available with basic little tips if needed

Last edited by shhambo; 11-03-2007 at 04:04 PM. Reason: add tool rental