Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Five Boro Bike Tour

Sorry for being WAY off topic for the Portland bike scene, but has anyone here ever done the Five Boro Bike Tour in New York City?

http://www.bikenewyork.org/BNY-TOUR.htm

It sounds like a bigger version of the Bridge Pedal, with that east coast flavor (and expensive hotel rooms). I'm intrigued and tempted to fly out and try it some year.

I'd be curious to hear your experiences if you've done it.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:47 PM
Site Admin

Default NYC ride

Hi Andrew, I personally have not done it but I have friends who have. From what I know it is a veritable parking lot. Good for family (sans strollers) but not hammerheads. Involves walking and standing still yet a bike "love in". Personally, NYC is way too much for my taste, consider also the expense of shipping or flying with your ride (unless you have a coupled bike, that is .) I will travel the equi distance for the bridge ride that I hear.....ROCKS ! But seriously, if you want to talk to someone who has done it, I can certainly help you with that.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Site Admin

Default I'm signed up

So, you asked this a while ago, but I just happened to see it today. I am signed up for the 5 boro ride this year. I was already planning to go to NYC to visit a friend. While looking up things to do, I found out about the ride (and that May is Bike Month in NYC), so I decided to do it. I imagine it will be pretty crowded and slow, but hey, I'll be a tourist, so I hope to see some great sights & get some great photos. I've actually avoided doing Portland's Bridge Pedal just because of the reports of it being a parking lot.

I'm going to rent a bike rather than deal w/flying my bike out there - I found a shop in Brooklyn close to my friend's house that offers a good deal.

I will report back on it when I return!
Old 04-26-2007, 03:18 PM
Site Admin

Default I'm also signed up

Like 2wheels, I'm going to be in NY next weekend also, and decided to sign up for the ride. Although I doubt it brings out my inner bike messenger, the thought of riding through Manhattan is pretty cool. I'll post a review of the ride when I get back. See you out there, 2wheels.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

So I did the 5 Boro Bike Tour in New York City last weekend and thought I'd give a little report. It's sort of the New York equivalent of our Bridge Pedal, only longer (42 miles) and larger (30,000 people).

Overall it was fun, and pretty spectacular to bike right through New York City. You go right down a closed-down 6th Avenue to start, then through Central Park, a very brief tootle through Queens, down through Brooklyn and along the waterfront with great views of Manhattan, and finally across the Verazano Narrows Bridge into Staten Island, where you take the ferry back to Manhattan.

http://bikenewyork.org/rides/fbbt/index.html

The riders are a genial sort, with some costumage, but not as much as you'd see in Portland, of course.

Even with 30,000 people, they've done a great job of figuring out restrooms. There are a lot of them, in a lot of places, and never really a line even with that many people.

Now the bad news: You think the Bridge Pedal has bottlenecks, you ain't seen nothing. There's an hour (at least) wait to get into Central Park, and a couple other places with waits of 15-30 minutes, including a crushing line at the end to get onto the ferry after everyone is hot and tired. The full ride took us about seven hours, and counting transit time to and from our apartment we were out for ten and a half hours. It's a full day.

If anyone does it in future years, I highly HIGHLY recommend renting a bike from Bike and Roll in New York. They have really nice bikes and they're totally set up to conveniently pick up your bike at the starting line and drop your bike off at the finish. In fact, as a renter you bypass the huge ferry line, which is worth the price of the rental alone. Can't recommend them highly enough.

So, all in all it was a long day, and if I do it again I'll ratchet my expectations so I know there will be a lot of stops and waits. All that said, the chance to bike through New York in a big event was really fun and despite the forecast of thunderstorms and cold weather it never rained and I got a sunburn.