Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Women for Bikes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Site Admin

Default Springwater Corridor After Dark

Hi all,
I'm a daily bike commuter, and sometimes ride the stretch of the Springwater Corridor from Sellwood to downtown as part of my route. It's so blissfully traffic free! However, since the time change I've been reluctant to go that way, since it's kind of creepy out there when it's dark. I'm wondering if anyone has ridden that stretch between say, 5 and 6 pm, and how safe they feel about being alone out there....
Thanks for your input and thank to Janis for this great new forum!
~Daisy
Old 11-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Site Admin

I understand that feeling Daisy. Perhaps there is someone that can ride with you - a bike buddy. What is your route?
Old 11-06-2006, 10:35 AM
Site Admin

That's a great suggestion, Janis. I love the idea of biking with other like-minded women! I work at Reed College and live in NE. I usually don't take the Springwater, but like to mix things up from time to time. The timing of my commute is pretty variable, though, so arranging a bike buddy might be tricky. I more just wondered if any other women were riding that strech and what their sense was of how safe it is.
Thanks,
Daisy
Old 11-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Site Admin

Hi Daisy, I also work at Reed and bike to work everyday. Seems like there should be someone else riding along the springwater around the same time as you... I ride everyday from Reed along 34th/35th to a block north of Burnside. I'd be happy to take an alternate route sometime if you want someone to ride with.

If you're not already in the list of reed college bike commuters at http://www.bikecommutechallenge.com then sign up there and you'll be able see a whole list of possible bike buddy co-workers. Go back to October to get a better idea of who rides often and who doesn't.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Site Admin

i just wanted to you post about the safety on the springwater corridor.
i have a friend that had a rather creepy experience around 8 or 9 pm about a month or so ago.
some guy ended up chasing her for at least a mile until she got to the industrial area.(he finally gave up and turned around)
luckily he never caught up to her, but it scared her. and also made me more aware of how isolated a person is on that route.
so, i don't think i'll go it alone at night anymore.
ditto for the esplanade
just my $.02
Old 12-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Site Admin

im a guy (sorry for crashing the party) and ive ridden that stretch twice a day for over a year now. ive never had a problem or even seen anything sketchy, and i vary rarely see bums around there either. again im a dude so its different, but just thought id share.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Site Admin

Sadly, Monsieurcris, I believe it is because you're a man. I've had enough creepy experiences on the Esplanade/Springwater at dusk or night that I don't ride alone on it anymore. None of the women I know will, either. It's just how it works for women in certain situations, even in safer cities like Portland.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Site Admin

Say, I wonder if the discussion about those super loud bike horns over in another thread (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=467) has some bearing here? Firing off one of those if someone harrassed you would get attention. Maybe they can keep you safe from more than just inattentive drivers.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:13 AM
Site Admin

I figured that was the case and I'm sorry that it is a problem. Anyhow, I ride from Sellwood to downtown in the AM leaving around 7-7:10, and return the opposite way around 515-530 if anyone out there would like to ride with me. I think this is the opposite of the schedules I've seen though.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:13 AM
Site Admin

Another guy, not commenting on safety per se, but just wanted to say that since they've completed the sewer project, they cut away all the underbrush that was near the trail throughout that stretch between Johnson Creek and McLoughlin - visibility is much improved, especially on nights when the moon is visible.

I'm a daily commuter on the Springwater, at least out to Bell. (which pretty much covers the whole "sketchy" stretch) If anyone is looking for a mixed group to commute with, I'd be happy to participate. I'm another of the "early" commuters, though. I usually head down the Springwater about 6-6:30am and come back 4:30-5:30pm.