Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2006, 04:16 PM
Site Admin

Default Support/Signup for Friends of PIR

PIR Users/Racers/Enthusiasts!

PIR race series may be over and months away but....

Earlier this year a group called, Friends of PIR was started (see below). They would like to have users of the track join and support their organization - its free and takes about 30 seconds. I urge you to show your support of this great venue and new organization.

http://www.friendsofpir.com/signup.php

Read more about the group on website or below....Thanks!

More info at:

http://www.friendsofpir.com/

About Friends of PIR

History and Introduction

Portland International Raceway (PIR) and its neighbors, the Expo Center, Delta Park, and Heron Lakes golf course, are the legacy of the city of Vanport. Because they were born from Vanportís tragic demise, each of these facilities bears a responsibility to enrich the life of our community. For the past half-century, PIR has incrementally addressed that responsibility by both entertaining and accommodating families from an expanding hinterland in Oregon and Washington, and by investing in the welfare of area neighborhoods.

However, the scope and value of its services, accommodation and community investments have varied over time due to vacillations in budgets, management priorities, and income. As a consequence, PIR has periodically found itself reacting to challenges and opportunities rather than anticipating, shaping, and strategically securing the possibilities they provide.

The Friends of Portland International Raceway, an Oregon 501(c)3 corporation, assists the facility and the City of Portland to meet PIRís responsibility to enrich its region and North Portlandís neighborhoods. Led by a board with representatives of those who use or visit the track, and who live and work in the adjacent community, the Friends will solicit and apply the resources and counsel of those who have a vested interest in the track and its relationship to those it affects and serves.

Mission Statement

The Friends of PIR are jointly committed to:

1) Preserving and enhancing PIR as a resource for those who use it as both participants and spectators
2) Sustaining and expanding PIRís civic contribution as an institution in North Portland
3) Providing guidance and support for the ongoing management of PIR in a manner that assures its ongoing value as a venue for motorsports and other diverse forms of recreation and entertainment

These three goals will shape the initiatives of the Friends of PIR.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Site Admin

Um, no thanks.

Just a question. What does Portland International Raceway have to do with bicycles?
Old 11-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Site Admin

Will PIR have bike-only days? Bicycle racing? I'd love to be able to use that asphalt. Count me as a "Friend" if they open the track up to bikes on non-race days.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Site Admin

I believe there is a bike racing series at PIR. Mondays and/or Tuesdays. It's pretty cool.

I'd love to try it out, but I'm chicken and slow.