Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > All About the West Side
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbob View Post
By the way: Can anyone say if this short section of Hall Blvd through the mall, is equipped with a speed limit sign, and if so, what speed? 15mph speed limit seems more than enough I would think. 10 mph might be reasonable, and better.
It is not posted but it is hampered by a 4-way stop and a lot of casual intersections. Wide open with easy visibility. I only have trouble with impatient drivers that use this section as a short-cut.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Site Admin

I don't believe there is a 4 way stop. The first intersection westbound has 3 stops and westbound traffic has no stop.

The second intersection allows the eastbound traffic to not stop while the other directions do have to stop.

Or something like that. It is kind of strange.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnef View Post
I don't believe there is a 4 way stop. The first intersection westbound has 3 stops and westbound traffic has no stop.

The second intersection allows the eastbound traffic to not stop while the other directions do have to stop.

Or something like that. It is kind of strange.
I think you're right... a weird kind of offset 4-way Regardless, it has traffic "calming" measures.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:01 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
I think you're right... a weird kind of offset 4-way Regardless, it has traffic "calming" measures.
Sort of. I always take the lane heading through there, just in case.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:16 AM
Site Admin

Re; section of Hall Blvd between Cedar Hills Blvd and Hocken Ave...through the Mall property:

Still talking about that. Good, because it needs critiquing, maybe some changes, I think. It would be interesting to hear from city planners, the history of how that section of the street came to be designed as it was, once the decision was made to make it straight through to Hocken. Long before it was a through street, the mall property had a parking lot lane exactly where Hall is now, but terminating where New Seasons is.

I'm not big on crosswalks not aided by stop signs or stop lights. That's the existing situation at the crosswalk across Hall to and from New seasons...for west bound traffic. East bound traffic at the crosswalk has a stop sign. Why one direction has a stop sign and the other doesn't is a mystery to me. Why the city, or whoever, would want to wait until a pedestrian gets nailed by a west bound motor vehicle, before deciding to put in a stop sign, is a mystery to me.

A short distance away, east, across Cedar Hills Blvd from the mall: Just noticed yesterday, that construction of sidewalks on Fairfield between 124th and CHB, is in progress. That's good, and bad. Narrow street, very few street lights, always been dicey for people on foot. For people on foot, sidewalks will make the route this street provides between the mall and the neighborhood, much easier and safer. On the other hand, pedestrians no longer in the street for people driving to slow down for, means motor vehicle traffic may start to travel down the street faster than it has been. Perhaps only a little faster though, because the street is narrow...basically, only a single car can travel down the center of the street where cars are parked to both sides of it...and the street has speed bumps.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:14 AM
Site Admin

The section of Hall through the mall property is not a city or county street. It is mall property.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
The section of Hall through the mall property is not a city or county street. It is mall property.
Aha... that also means it is a mall liability
Old 07-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Is that a fact, officially stated by the city? On the Bike Beaverton map, that section of the street is labeled 'Hall'. I wonder if, even though the street itself may be mall property, what jurisdiction the city may have to obligate use of certain street design standards and traffic controls there.

I was walking in the area again today. Width of the street at Hall westbound from CHB, narrows abruptly after the first stop mall lane intersection. Information about the squeeze isn't aided by any sign whatsoever. It's that unnotified lane width reduction that can cause problems for westbound people traveling by bike after CHB that have elected to stay to the right side of the road. Cross the intersection after the stop sign, and they can find themselves squeezed.

Last edited by wsbob; 07-28-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:09 PM
Site Admin

There is a sign stating that it is private property and permission to use it is revocable.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
There is a sign stating that it is private property and permission to use it is revocable.

Maybe I've got some kind of selective visual acuity keeping me from seeing said sign. Rode Hall westbound from Cedar Hills Blvd to Hocken. Saw no sign along the road informing road users that the road was private property. I'll look again.

Last Friday or so, I sent off an inquiry to Kasho, the city's traffic engineer, asking if he could share some thoughts about this stretch of road, and confirm just whose responsibility it is.