Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > All About the West Side
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Site Admin

Default Putting in a plug for more Wash Co improvements

My hot buttons:

Number One: SW Walker Rd from SW Canyon to SW Cedar Hills. Not likely that they'll make it wider anytime soon. There is some noise about a "minor betterment" for a pedestrian path, but that isn't useful either. I would like some strategically placed (say, right at William Walker Elementary traffic light) "Bicycles May Use Full Lane" signs.

MUTCD reference: Section 9B.06 Bicycles May Use Full Lane Sign (R4-11)
Option:
01 The Bicycles May Use Full Lane (R4-11) sign (see Figure 9B-2) may be used on roadways where no bicycle lanes or adjacent shoulders usable by bicyclists are present and where travel lanes are too narrow for bicyclists and motor vehicles to operate side by side.
02 The Bicycles May Use Full Lane sign may be used in locations where it is important to inform road users that bicyclists might occupy the travel lane.
03 Section 9C.07 describes a Shared Lane Marking that may be used in addition to or instead of the Bicycles May Use Full Lane sign to inform road users that bicyclists might occupy the travel lane.
Support:
04 The Uniform Vehicle Code (UVC) defines a "substandard width lane" as a "lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the same lane."

Number Two: SW Butner Rd east of SW Murray, where it does that hard turn before SW 130th. I take the lane on the turn. But, heading east, at night, in the rain, with oncoming auto traffic, even with a fabulous headlight (and believe me, I have one), one cannot see the road edge. It falls off into gravel. I would KILL for a white edge stripe. Paint. All I want is paint.

I encourage you ALL to go the the WashCo minor betterment page and propose these improvements
http://www.co.washington.or.us/LUT/D...etterments.cfm
Old 07-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Site Admin

Great find, Lynn!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnef View Post
My hot buttons:

Number One: SW Walker Rd from SW Canyon to SW Cedar Hills. Not likely that they'll make it wider anytime soon. There is some noise about a "minor betterment" for a pedestrian path, but that isn't useful either. I would like some strategically placed (say, right at William Walker Elementary traffic light) "Bicycles May Use Full Lane" signs....

That section of Walker Rd is lousy to ride...lousy. I suppose 'Bicycles May Use Full Lane' signs installed is something to consider, but I'm doubtful they'd make conditions for riding any better. I'm doubtful also, that city or county, whoever has authority over that road, would be willing to encourage bike traffic to generally be taking the lane through that section. The road sees huge volumes of motor vehicle traffic throughout the day. For all road users, it's a high pressure connector between 217, Cedar Hills Blvd (the mall location), further west, Nike and other destinations further west: Tanasbourne and all the hi-tech companies.

The section of Walker Rd between Cedar Hills Blvd and Canyon Rd you speak of though, is on what some may be consider to be a northern boundary of one of Beaverton's close-in neighborhoods. It's a section of road that logically may be the route more people from surrounding neighborhoods would take(example: Cedar Hills residents wanting to go to the mall), traveling by bike, if the road was more conducive to bike travel.

Just off the top of my head, a cycletrack on Walker, west from hwy 217 out to Cedar Hills Blvd, would be a great improvement.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Site Admin

I have been riding it in the mornings when I don't get out of the house by 7:30. Cuts a mile off my commute. No one has killed me yet, but I very blatantly take the lane westbound from William Walker school. Downhill, so I can get it up to 22mph without much effort. They are just speeding toward the red light at SW Cedar Hills in any case.

Wouldn't want to ride it eastbound.

Won't be much fun when school starts up again.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Site Admin

Washington County owns SW Walker Rd.

Email from Sarah Owens at the county:

"Thank you for this submission. We did receive your request via Jabra at Beaverton and I must offer my apologies for not responding to you sooner. Yours is the first request we've received for the R4-11 sign. We are currently in the process of developing a procedure for when to use this sign. We see these signs as an educational tool, but recognize that they may not change driver behavior. I should mention that the R4-11 signs are not required for you to take the lane if you feel there's a need to do so. "
Old 07-23-2013, 01:27 PM
Site Admin

Strong and courageous, bold and confident...I forget the exact phrase being used to describe the type of rider that's willing to deal with this section of the road. The required characteristics are guaranteed to chase off plenty of milder, potential riders. Imagine some mild mannered person trying to peacefully ride the travel lane at 12mph on their upright style, over to Cedar Hills Blvd, location of the mall, with stores such as Winco, New Seasons...trailed by a ten car string of anxious, agitated people typically driving as though they're a bunch of hornets whose nest has been whacked with a stick.

I was going to mention in the earlier comment, that the law allows people traveling by bike to take the lane in situations such as those existing on this section of Walker, but it's great having something to indicate that some county staff are aware that people traveling by bike are legally allowed to take the lane:

"...I should mention that the R4-11 signs are not required for you to take the lane if you feel there's a need to do so. " Sarah Owens/county
Old 07-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Site Admin

Exactly.

But to get to the mall from that start location, there is a quieter way...

SW 106th-(via the paved alley/Polsky)->SW 108th->SW 110th->SW Cabot->SW Center->SW Hall (ok, that's a stretch...)

or, from SW Center at SW 117th, go through the park on the north or SW 124th to Fairfield, then go west on Fairfield, cross at the light into the shopping center.

Not that I would recommend ANYONE ride with children in that parking lot. Dangerous enough to drive there!

Me, I just want to get to work without feeling lucky that I have arrived in one piece.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Site Admin

There is actually a nice quiet ride if you're willing to follow Hall through the mall and then through the backside of Tektronics.

See how this works for you...

Roxbury - Lynnridge - Mayfield (light across Walker ) - Terra Linda - 116th (jog at Mayfield) - Denfield (and across the park W.B.) - cont. Denfield - 124th - Center - Hall (straight through mall) - Hocken - Terman - Murray - 158th - Baseline - 231st - ...

Then again, I prefer Park Way almost all the way to Murray. Mostly residential and once you get to Walker, you are faster than cars anyway. Then you just have to get past 158th.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
...I would KILL for a white edge stripe. Paint. All I want is paint.
...<snip>
A white Krylon foo-foo can comes to mind
Old 07-23-2013, 11:52 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Exactly.

But to get to the mall from that start location, there is a quieter way...

SW 106th-(via the paved alley/Polsky)->SW 108th->SW 110th->SW Cabot->SW Center->SW Hall (ok, that's a stretch...)

or, from SW Center at SW 117th, go through the park on the north or SW 124th to Fairfield, then go west on Fairfield, cross at the light into the shopping center.

Not that I would recommend ANYONE ride with children in that parking lot. Dangerous enough to drive there!

Me, I just want to get to work without feeling lucky that I have arrived in one piece.

That is a quieter way, and and takes in enjoyable neighborhoods to ride through, but can you imagine attempting with way-finding signs, to direct people along that maze-like route? If they think they may become confused or lost with a complicated route, people generally seem inclined to prefer a straight shot. I think that makes a strong case for creation of a cycle track/pedestrian esplanade affair along Walker, west of 217 to CHB.

Yes, traveling the main lanes through the mall parking lot is hazard-prone. Knowing this, If I'm not traveling through, I generally enter the mall on Fairfield, which by virtue of mall travel lane having to 'T' as it comes to the mall buildings, helps to moderate vehicle activity some. Creation of the Hall Blvd connection through the mall complex from CHB to Hocken, intensified traffic congestion issues on that axis. There's a couple stop signs along this stretch of road/lane, plus painted crosswalks, but with many drivers in a fast travel mode coming on to it off CHB and Hall Blvd south, vulnerable road users seem to be especially at risk there.

Design of that road/lane through the mall property seems lame to me. Adjoining business are New Seasons, Sports Authority, little Italian food spot, other places to eat just a short distance away. Quite a bit of foot traffic there. Traffic control infrastructure in place should do the best possible job of making this area a great place to walk and bike.
By the way: Can anyone say if this short section of Hall Blvd through the mall, is equipped with a speed limit sign, and if so, what speed? 15mph speed limit seems more than enough I would think. 10 mph might be reasonable, and better.