Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Angry Hit again... #13

I got hit by another car tonight (that's #13 in total). Fortunately, this time it happened at a VERY slow speed, and I almost got clear. Bike looks to be ok, I'm unhurt, but I was VERY pissed.

I was approaching a street from the driveway of a local gas station (and short cut to Subway) when a car turned the blind corner, overshot her lane, and headed straight for me. It was night, I had my lights, and when I shone my lights where the driver's eyes should have been, I only saw the left shoulder of the driver as she was bent down into the passenger side foot well.

I made a sharp turn to my left and yelled, just as she came up, and started to accelerate. She grazed my rear wheel and rack just as I was trying to jump clear. She stopped and stayed.

I got her name, her cell number (verified by a call while she was there), got the license number. She was shaken up, but not nearly the twitching mess I was. No injury, no noticeable damage, there's no way the cops would have had anything to do.

Motorists, please remember this...

I AM NOT A F'N PINBALL!!! THIS IS NOT A F'N GAME!!!!

Last edited by K'Tesh; 02-20-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Site Admin

What you described there is a PERFECT script for a PSA on unsafe driving.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Site Admin

What, she dropped her cell phone on the floor?

Glad you're okay, K'Tesh!
Old 02-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Site Admin

Glad you are ok!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
I'm thinking it was ringing in her purse...

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
Fortunately, this time it happened at a VERY slow speed, and I almost got clear.
low-speed hits are the best ones...
Old 02-21-2013, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post

Glad you're okay, K'Tesh!
As she slowed down to make the turn, her poorly stacked groceries hit the floor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnef View Post
Glad you are ok!
Thanks All,

I can't tell you how relieved that I'm not wrangling with another insurance company on this. I've noticed a trend though... I every case, My intended motion was straight (save one which was a merge into the lane to my left, but straight from there), and in the last several, the motorist was turning. Dunno what it means, but it's just an observation.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 02-21-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:27 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
and in the last several, the motorist was turning. Dunno what it means, but it's just an observation.
What I've observed in my last year of professional driving is that people will generally drive safely when they think they need to but let their guard down and lose their focus when they perceive a general reduction in danger.

In this most recent collision the driver was almost certainly thinking of diving for the floorboard while driving on the main road but unconsciously recognized that this was unsafe. Therefore the unsafe action was "qued-up" to occur automatically once she got somewhere safe; this would be the parking lot where you were. People in cars aren't worried about being run over once they are off the road. Everyone considers themselves to be a safe driver that would not harm others; within this framework it "reasonable" for the average driver to do something dangerous like diving for the floorboards as long as you aren't driving on a public road.

These transition points between public roads (where a driver can be ticketed) to private property like businesses and residences (where a driver cannot be ticketed) people let their guard down for legal adherence to road laws and the sense of general worry about personal safety because they are not in traffic anymore.

Some of the wackiest behavior occurs a the entrance to large retail parking lots; sit back and watch some time, it's insane.

Last edited by q`Tzal; 02-23-2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Huh?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by q`Tzal View Post
Some of the wackiest behavior occurs a the entrance to large retail parking lots; sit back and watch some time, it's insane.
My commute takes me on Barbur passing the Freddies just after Terwilliger where there is a long, slight downhill leading into the driveway for the parking lot. That single spot is, to me at least, the most dangerous spot on my commute, with most drivers failing to signal, let alone check their mirrors, for the very reasons Q'Tzal mentioned. In some ways I prefer the bridges on the high speed section on Barbur.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Site Admin

Totally agree that suburban shopping areas involve some of the most careless driving actions I typically witness.

Sorry to hear about collission #13 K'Tesh - glad to hear it didn't involve any injuries other than the trauma of being mortally threatened by yet another driver. Which is still not fun.

Scott
Old 02-23-2013, 04:36 PM
Site Admin

Glad you fared so well! Now, no #14, please!