Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Book Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Question What'cha Reading?

I've got time on my hands now, need something to keep me busy during the rainy days.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Site Admin

Anything by S.M. Stirling. Good stuff.

If you like real heavy sci-fi, anything by Charles Stross. Also good stuff.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haven_kd7yct View Post
Anything by S.M. Stirling. Good stuff.

If you like real heavy sci-fi, anything by Charles Stross. Also good stuff.
I *knew* there were reasons I liked you! The High King of Montival, only 5 months to wait!

I've ridden through/by most of the Willamette Valley places referenced in the books. Domain Ath, of course, is the Montinore Winery.

Lynne "who still cracks up every time there is a reference to the Baron of Gervais" F

Last edited by lynnef; 04-28-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Site Admin

I like reading, but unfortunately for me...I'm a s l-o-o-w reader. I like sci-fi too, but I haven't read any new stuff in awhile, so the two authors you girls mentioned are ones I've never heard of.

I read old stuff...whatever I run across that looks good. A while back, I found an old copy of The Sand Pebbles (used as the basis of the movie starring Paul Newman). Loved it.

Just got around to American Gods/Neil Gamian. That was somethin'.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Site Admin

Man, how could I forget Neil Gaiman!!! I love that guy. American Gods is a great book, and for something lighter, hit Good Omens written with Terry Pratchett-- I love that guy, too!

Lynne, I so can't wait for High King to come out-- I think I have the sample chapters all memorized from his website. Which I love that he posts sample chapters so you can "test drive" his works before committing to them.

Charlie Stross does that too, I just found out yesterday. So there goes my productivity again.

But yeah, the cool thing about the Dies the Fire emberverse is that it's set in Oregon, mostly, so it's a lot of fun to go ride around where they are talking about or at least picture it in your head-- I've been on Webfoot Rd and around Dayton/Amity/Newberg/St Paul a lot on two wheels, but I'm still having trouble figuring out where Castle Todenangst is supposed to be.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:26 AM
Site Admin

Stone of Tears/Terry Goodkind. For the 'Fantasy', genre...man,....there's some serious, sobering stuff in this book. I'm liking it a lot though.
I don't generally read fantasy, but came around to it because of the television series, which is visually breathtaking in terms of casting, costume and setting. It got me curious enough to find out whether Goodkind could actually write something that was more than simple escapist material.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:25 AM
Site Admin

Most recently, I've been reading 'Through a Different Lens/my life with Edward Weston'. This is by Weston's model/girlfriend/ wife. Weston's a defining photographer from middle last century, that established a different direction for the creation of beautiful black and white photographic prints. Weston was quite an eccentric guy, but his gal, Charis being very devoted to him, and a good writer, wrote the texts for his books of prints, and...through her book, allows Weston to be seen as much more than some eccentric dude readers of various books and articles about him have erroneously been led to believe he was.

Also read Dylan's autobiography Pt. 1 from some years back. Interesting to read. Public television partly based their American Masters documentary on this book, borrowing some of the text from it for the documentary.

And sticking with the Sword of Truth books too. I don't read quickly, so I don't get around to a lot of different writers. I've read some mystery, crime murder stuff in past years, but if the book is consistent with the movie in terms of depiction in lengthy, graphic detail, none of that was anything like Silence of the Lambs. The movie isn't the kind of thing I much enjoy watching, just because the degree to which it looks into and describes the type of criminal nature Lecter lusts for and pursues, is at least, upsetting.

Goodkind with this series of his, does a certain amount of that kind of thing too. He must have done research about the atrocities soldiers in war have committed against they're opponents, because in certain sections of the book, he builds his story in part by essentially painting a picture of that kind of thing in vivid detail. Same with the serial killer thing.

But then, material like this has gotten to be fairly common on television...maybe people are no longer disturbed by it. If we're ever invaded and soldiers commence mass rape in churches, maybe all those anesthetized viewers will walk on by bored...'So what...saw that on television before!'.

Other than that stuff, for people that don't like it, the story and characters are very good. He uses his characters well as forms to elucidate matters of personal aspiration, duty, honor and ethics and how they can be reconciled when in conflict.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Site Admin

i am currently reading neal stephenson's baroque cycle - on book two out of three. really an excellent read with lots of ups and downs. historical fiction taking place in the late 1600s/early 1700s featuring many well known real-life characters (isaac newton figures prominently in an indirect way).

one of the best books i've read recently was 'the count of monte cristo' by alexandre dumas. an amazing portrayal of a lifelong thirst for revenge finally tempered by time.

also 'papillon' was really really good (forget the name of the author right now).
Old 03-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Site Admin

Don't know if I've read 'the count of monte cristo'. Might have read 'the three muskateers'. I have read some of Balzac, which I believe may have been a contemporary of Dumas, and set his story in a similar era. Book of his I remember was generally about a young man of no means seeking to rise out of his station into the arrogant, self indulgent environment of court society, through shrewdness and contrivance. Doesn't paint a very pretty picture of humanity.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:20 AM
Site Admin

'three muskateers' was ok, not nearly as good as 'monte christo'. finished the baroque cycle a while back, i was very sad to see it finished, one of the best things i've read ever.

also i recently read the complete works of tim dorsey, extremely funny contemporary fiction, highly recommended.