Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Dear GoPro...

Dear GoPro,

I am a bike commuter. I have to lock my bike outside for extended periods of time while at school. I've been in several crashes with cars over the years, and I want to document every ride in the event I need to present evidence of the behavior of all parties involved.

Since I have to lock my bike outside, I am forced to remove the camera each time I park. I've tried your mount, and IMHO it sucks. It rotates down due to shock and vibration. So, all I was getting was video of my front wheel and the road/trail passing under me. When I crank the screw down hard enough to prevent this, it slows me down when I'm trying to rush into class. I solved part of the problem by tethering the camera to prevent the rotation, but it slows me down even further.

I *NEED* a mount that I can attach to the bike, and one that I can attach to the camera (and locks it into place so it doesn't rotate in any unwanted directions), then the two mounts mate with a nice clean quick release.

I hate having to unscrew the damn camera each time I get off my bike (and buying new F'n screws each time I loose the F'n things). I had a tether to the screw, but it fell off anyway. So, I'm forced to buy a $20 grab bag of mounts to get a single screw? What the HELL is that?

On the Bike Commuter GoPro Mount I've suggested. The camera's waterproof case would screw into the mount, but the design would allow for the camera's removal (even with a Battery BacPac installed) from the case, but not require the user to remove the case from its mount.

An even better, more useful product would incorporate some bike computer functions. The mount would have 2 or 4 contacts that would (wired) connect to a sensor on the fork of the bike. A magnet on the front wheel would 'trip' the sensor, turning on the camera (if the user opts to turn on that setting using supplied software). When the bike stops, a programmable setting could allow for continued recording for a few minutes, until manually turned off, until the battery drains, or until the flash card is filled.

Another programmable setting would allow the camera to overwrite the old videos/photos once the flash card is filled. If there's nothing desired for documentation, we don't have to manually delete it. If we need something, we can upload it to our computer, YouTube, or give it to authorities.

The two of those contacts connect to the sensor, which could also be programmed to include the wheel's circumference, and apply the speed info to the video (like a time/date stamp). The other contacts connect to a second sensor which could record cadence info for a performance rider's inner geek.

So, why do I want all of this?

Let's say I get on my bike, the sensor turns on the charged camera (video mode). I'm riding at Xmph for a while, when someone makes a mistake, and I'm down. My video could show the mistake, how fast I was going, as well as when it occurred. If the video is set to continue until manually stopped, or programmed to quit after several minutes, additional footage taken could show additional behaviors (such as verbal exchanges, assaults, fleeing from the scene, as well as witnesses, or people being heroes/cowards).

So, even if I'm rendered incapable of testifying for myself (or against someone else), my video record could be admitted in court to speak for me.

I'm certain if you were to create this product, you'd have bike commuters everywhere beating a path to your door looking to buy them.

Many Thanks,
K'Tesh

PS... The more I use my camera, the more likely I am to loose or damage it, the more likely I'll be needing to buy a replacement. All this means more $$$ in your coffers.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Site Admin

I can't believe they don't make a quick-release handlebar mount for this style of camera mount... I have the Swann Freestyle HD camera with the same style of connector screws, but it came with a rounded helmet mound and a flat-surface mount that have that super-adhesive on them and then the screw mounts to the camera simply click into those... I'd be pretty annoyed if I had to unscrew one of the mounting screws each time I wanted to remove it from a surface...

but I do agree that it's hard to get the screws tight enough to keep the camera upright over lots of bumps... I'm constantly adjusting the one on my scooter after big bumps...
Old 01-30-2013, 04:36 PM
Site Admin

You might consider one of these, K'Tesh...

http://www.amazon.com/Minoura-Camera.../dp/B0059VET02

Old 01-30-2013, 06:58 PM
Site Admin

K'Tesh:
I take it you have one of these GoPro cameras?
Does it link/attach/save live GPS data for the video? The Contour line stores the data in a separate format only viewable from their software.

I was thinking that it might be useful, if ugly on video, to have the time and GPS info imprinted directly on to every frame of video like a professional security camera.

There are simple algorithmic techniques that can be used by even underfunded police staff to show that video frames have not been altered thus possibly solving the unverifiable evidence problem.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Red face Thanks guys, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
You might consider one of these, K'Tesh...

http://www.amazon.com/Minoura-Camera.../dp/B0059VET02
Nice idea, but it won't work... The GoPro doesn't use that standard camera mount for it's products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by q`Tzal View Post
K'Tesh:
I take it you have one of these GoPro cameras?
Does it link/attach/save live GPS data for the video? The Contour line stores the data in a separate format only viewable from their software.

I was thinking that it might be useful, if ugly on video, to have the time and GPS info imprinted directly on to every frame of video like a professional security camera.

There are simple algorithmic techniques that can be used by even underfunded police staff to show that video frames have not been altered thus possibly solving the unverifiable evidence problem.
I do have a GoPro, and no, it doesn't do GPS. I'd just like to have an option for a time stamp on/off, and if they made a commuter version, to have my current speed capable of being stamped like the time stamp. I feel it would be useful if a court case was brought (or perhaps, you upload the video to YouTube, and send your/their insurance/lawyer there, and get a fair settlement), and then you wouldn't need to have a forensic analysis done.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
Nice idea, but it won't work... The GoPro doesn't use that standard camera mount for it's products.
Oh, but follow Simple Nature's link to Amazon, then scroll down to the "Frequently Bought Together" section and there's a GoPro Tripod Mount adapter for $8 more.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:37 AM
Site Admin

I've been trying to think of a way to mount my computer so it shows up in the corner of the frame when my camera is running. The way I have my camera mounted now, I can see my brifters at the edges of the frame and can easily tell when I am braking or shifting. I'll bet there's a low-tech way to mount things so the camera can just visually record the data. Rain and darkness would be problems, though...
Old 01-31-2013, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Thumbs down Minoura Camera Mount with GoPro Tripod Mount...

What I'm looking for is something like this... but without the DIY aspect.

I don't like those standard Tripod mounts. Every one I've ever used couldn't be locked down to the point that they wouldn't be able to vibrate loose. When I tightened them down to the point that they were unlikely to vibrate loose, they either broke what I was using, a sudden shock would knock them loose again, or the camera would end up at some odd angle.

As for the Minoura mount. I have two of their bar extenders, and I'm not 100% thrilled with them either. The rubber pads (actually clear vinyl) that are meant to prevent them from pivoting down from vibration are not physically part of the clamp. When I unclamp them, I've ended up wasting a lot of time looking for those pads when they fall off/out. To keep the mount firm, I've found that it's better to clamp it down, then tighten the set screw with a hex wrench, than to try to clamp the thing down after tightening the screw. Removing the clamp always results in the set screw getting loose. Besides all that, having that ungainly bit of metal dangling off of the camera when I take it off seems fraught with risk of loss or damage.

I just want to have a mount screw on to the handlebar, and leave it. Just like the new NiteRider Lumina's mount...

The lamp side of things would be an adapter to screw the camera into (from the side (like the GoPro's current system), not the bottom (like the standard tripod mount)), but wouldn't allow the camera to pivot, once on (the back of the case could still be opened however to remove the actual camera unit).

Last edited by K'Tesh; 01-31-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Thumbs down Minoura Camera Mount with GoPro Tripod Mount...

What I'm looking for is something like this...

I don't like those standard Tripod mounts. Every one I've ever used couldn't be locked down to the point that they wouldn't be able to vibrate loose. When I tightened them down to the point that they were unlikely to vibrate loose, they either broke what I was using, a sudden shock would knock them loose again, or the camera would end up at some odd angle.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Default Just sent this to NiteRider...

Just sent this to NiteRider...

Quote:
The NiteRider Lumina Mount Adapter for GoPro Camera's‏
Hi Rich,

Commuting cyclists are increasingly carrying cameras to document their rides for fun and legal reasons. We need a simple mount to apply and remove our cameras when we get to our destinations.

Here's a quick bit of my conversations about this subject on BikePortland and Bikeforums

This is taken from:

http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4328

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/870267-Dear-GoPro?p=15219537

For perspective, Here's what GoPro has...

And it SUCKS! Unscrewing the thing while trying to hustle to work, or trying to prevent it from pivoting is a major PITA!

Here's what I want...

Minoura Camera Mount with GoPro Tripod Mount...
What I'm looking for is something like this... but without the DIY aspect.

The Minoura Camera Mount Holder with the GoPro Tripod Mount.

As for the Minoura mount. I have two of their bar extenders, and I'm not 100% thrilled with them either. The rubber pads (actually clear vinyl) that are meant to prevent them from pivoting down from vibration are not physically part of the clamp. When I unclamp them, I've ended up wasting a lot of time looking for those pads when they fall off/out. To keep the mount firm, I've found that it's better to clamp it down, then tighten the set screw with a hex wrench, than to try to clamp the thing down after tightening the screw. Removing the clamp always results in the set screw getting loose. Besides all that, having that ungainly bit of metal dangling off of the camera when I take it off seems fraught with risk of loss or damage.
end pt 1

Link to part 2

Last edited by K'Tesh; 01-31-2013 at 11:25 AM.