Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > All About the West Side
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 08:45 AM
Site Admin

Default Hall Blvd hazards

I've been trying to get ODOT to clean up the Hall Blvd bike lane south of hwy 99W, to no avail.

They say they've sent someone out to sweep twice in the last two weeks; I'm not sure where they were sweeping, because the bike lanes south of about Commercial St are choked.

Mostly heading Northbound, you've got glass in the crosswalk with Durham; large ceramic pieces (broken coffee cup) and a large stretch of large glass shards after Ashford; more glass and gravel after Sattler and before Bonita; large stretch of more glass shards between Bonita and McDonald; more glass after McDonald; car collision debris around the intersection before the library; more glass in the bus stop at the library; glass and gravel between the bus stop and Burnham St.

Heading Southbound, lots of gravel and small glass chunks through the entire section. Watch out for dead cat and squirrel action between the FCT and about McDonald.

The old pavement markings that are chipping away and ending up in drifts I can understand. We'll have that problem until they scrape off the old markings completely and replace them.

Just wanted to let y'all know that ODOT is aware of the problems with the Southern edge of Hall, and I'm trying to get it fixed.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Site Admin

Just curious, but why would ODOT have anything to do with Hall Blvd south or 99W?

Isn't that that Tigard's responsibility since that lenght of road is in the city limits and it is not a state highway?
Old 10-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Site Admin

Amazing what you find on the internets, Hall Blvd is also known as the Beaverton Tualatin Highway, No 141 a state rd. All these years and never saw a state route marker.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb I Forwarded your message to ODOT

I emailed your post to ODOT's Ask ODOT email address and to Basil Christopher, the Bike/Ped Coordinator.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Site Admin

I have been working with Basil, Cory Hamilton, Michael Strauch and Richard Garrison.

Cory called me yesterday around 11am after he went out and walked the stretch of Hall Blvd from the Library to Durham Rd. He said he didn't see anything, I thanked him for his call and for going out to look and that I'd double-check the troublesome areas on my way home.

So on my way home last night, I did just that. The Northbound lanes (on the Eastside of the road, heading away from Durham Rd) between Ashford and Murdock are literally choked with glass and ceramic shards. I took a lot of pictures, which are in my Flikr photostream but here's a small selection (hopefully they attach ok).

My co-worker who lives off Sattler told me that there was a street sweeper running Northbound on Hall around this area, hopefully it will all be picked up by the evening commute.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:40 AM
Site Admin

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention:

Hall Blvd and Upper Boones Ferry are both state roads and as such the cities of Tigard, Tualatin and Durham will not go out and sweep up any debris in the roadway.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Got a reply from ODOT today...

I'm not riding in that area, so I can't vouch for it myself... But this is what I got in my inbox today.

Quote:
Hi K'Tesh,

I got your email passed on to me for response from Ask ODOT. Thanks for writing and for sharing your concern about conditions on Hall Boulevard. I looked into this and got similar information as you. The maintenance crews swept the section of Hall Boulevard from OR 99W down to Durham Road on Sept. 14 and Sept. 19. Additionally, the maintenance section manager said he looked at that section of road a couple days ago and that it was in good shape. He also did mention the striping is wearing out and there are small glass beads left behind. These are not a hazard to bike tires, but could potentially appear that way.

I'm told that they will continue to sweep Hall Boulevard on a regular rotation and keep an eye on the conditions. Feel free to contact me if you have further questions or concerns.

Lili Boicourt
ODOT Community Affairs
Old 10-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Site Admin

The hazards in OP pix is pretty much normal for a favored exersize route through Hillsboro. Every day it seems a new bottle or other form of "bike chum" has been dropped into the bike lane. Often, it is much more pronouonced than the images here. If I find a new hazard that is more than just a single event, like peppering alomst 2 miles of Connell Rd and on, I call Hillsboro Public works and they take care of it quickly. The only time I had any hesitation was when ODOT was involved, but even then, Hillsboro stepped up. Maybe contacting Tigard Public Works would get specific notices resolved in short order.

I Have yet to gain repore with Beaverton Public Works. Some things that developers get away with in Beaverton just floor me. Fortunately, their scrubbers are pretty much on the ball. We'll see how it goes now that the leaves are falling.

What I would like to see is some enforcemen for those who think it is fun to bust bottles in the bike lanes. I -know- a lot of what I run into is malicious intent. That is why I use tires that are a bit more immune to fresh shards of glass.

Maybe I am fortunate to be able to count on Hillsboro Public Works. I would only hope Tigard and Beaverton are as easy to reach and provide a reliable response to more serious hazards.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:58 AM
Site Admin

Not so sure it's purposely broken bottles in the bike lane.

I find that after recycling day there tends to be more glass on the roads in general due to the recycling truck.

The sections of Hall mentioned do have residential properties and garbage/recycling pickup.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck View Post
Not so sure it's purposely broken bottles in the bike lane.

I find that after recycling day there tends to be more glass on the roads in general due to the recycling truck.

The sections of Hall mentioned do have residential properties and garbage/recycling pickup.
Interesting observation.