Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > Forum Admin > Notices & Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2012, 02:06 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
I'll look into that... hopefully it won't take Maj. Surgery (or Gen. Anesthesia) too get fixed.
OK, check it out, and we can take this to PM if you'd like...just as long as Private Parts or Corporal Punishment isn't involved!!
Old 01-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
OK, check it out, and we can take this to PM if you'd like...just as long as Private Parts or Corporal Punishment isn't involved!!
Maybe K'Tesh's computer problem is caused by a bad kernal?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
Maybe K'Tesh's computer problem is caused by a bad kernal?

Thanks for the help people... you're my heroes

Old 02-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Site Admin

Way off topic but to k'tesh issue of not getting here from home.

DNS as mentioned could be cause.
You did not mention OS but your mention of IE I am guessing Windows.

Try flushing your systems dns.
Start > Run > Cmd
at the prompt enter ipconfig /flushdns

Try clearing browsers temp files, cookies etc.
Powercycle your cable modem or dsl router.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Red face It's not quite right... but...

I've been told that I was blocked by some kind of software Jonathan is using "as my computer is "infected with a Murofnet trojan, which makes his computer a botnet." (I'm back now)

Damn I wish all them spammers would just (strike "why don't you")

(originally, I was thinking about a "Shining" example of saying "Jack's Back", but it just didn't work for me).

My anti-virus software expired, and I don't have a whole lot of bread to fix it.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 02-04-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Site Admin

Avast is free.

You might try and restart in safe mode with networking to download and install it.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Site Admin

Murof Trojan...ugh...hate those spammers!!

For the anti-virus, try AVG's free version: http://free.avg.com/ .

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830) is supposed to be very good but (knock on wood) I haven't used it personally:

https://www.microsoft.com/download/e...ils.aspx?id=16

Finally, try MyNetWatchman's "SecCheck" tool. He's a security researcher that offers this real-time tool for free. It keeps his data current and compares your system to his current standard based on many other systems. He does not collect any personally identifiable information, and all his data is aggregated. I vouch for his integrity.

http://mynetwatchman.com/tools/sc/

As for that Hero you posted, I'm afraid I would fail miserably at that culture test! Let's hear from some folks here who know those things...

PS - Psyfalcon's suggestion for Avast is good, too. I've used them both; liked AVG's interface a bit better but I think their A/V definitions are about equally good.

PPS - Firefox users, consider NoScript plugin to prevent scripts from running without your permission. They're a common drive-by attack vector. It's saved my bacon several times.

PS.3 - For power users (is that an oxymoron on Win?), Windows Process Explorer can be helpful in spotting problems: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb896653

PS.4 - If there's any question about your DNS servers, you can hard-code this line into your hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts) with a plaintext editor like 'Notepad':

74.55.247.66 bikeportland.org

(If that fixes things, then fix your DNS configs and then remove or comment out that line so that things won't break in the future if/when bikeportland.org moves to a different address.)

Last edited by Alan; 02-06-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Unhappy Out of the loop... Connectivity problems.

I split this off of the original thread as it was WILDLY off topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
As for that Hero you posted, I'm afraid I would fail miserably at that culture test! Let's hear from some folks here who know those things...
You mean this guy?

Here he is again... (different flick, different character) Or is it different show, different character, same actor, or not????

Thanks guys for the help!

(You guy's would never believe the question I asked Dago Red...)

"Was Hotlips really a natural blond?" Yes, I REALLY asked him THAT question... On stage... At a convention.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 02-04-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Site Admin

"Was Hotlips really a natural blond? ..."

Could a been. Probably not that particular shade created for tv. Besides...particularly with regards to ms lips, hair is definitely secondary in the overall scheme of things

The not being able to get bikeportland to open thing has been a puzzler. I was feeling all guilty about being sorta notorious for comments to the main page that some people find annoying. Thought I might of been blocked, intentionally or otherwise. Sent a note to the site owner....maus... about possible technical issues. Got a note back today explaining the server issues.

If it's a spam related server issue, I guess I'm kind of wondering what kind of service is needed to more effectively avoid this kind of mishap in future. Seems like maus's site was formally down for a week while efforts to deal with the situation were undertaken. Now this. Sounds like a 'need more money for better gear' issue.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Site Admin

I am -not- ignoring this forum. I too have been having issues getting to any part of bikeportland.org (thanks K'Tesh, for your help).

I am on a server at work and this is working fine but no computers going out of my Comcast modem at home are connecting. This is the only site I have issues with.

Hope to get it resolved soon. I miss participating in this forum.

For what its worth, I went to 2 totally separate computers that have nothing in common after the wireless router. comp 1 is on Windows 7 64 bit and the second is on XP Pro. comp 1 is IE latest and comp 2 is firefox (old). 1st time ever to log into bikeportland.org on comp 2. Same failure "waiting for reply". On comp 1, after the 1st timeout... before the error message, it redirects to a dead IP address someplace in Houston (shows IP address but no replies when ping'd). Anyway, I've scrubbed and cleaned the windows 7 comp (which has always been up to date) to no avail. It is either Comcast, bikeportland.org, my cable modem, or the wireless router causing this issue. This really, REALLY sucks.

Last edited by Simple Nature; 02-06-2012 at 08:59 AM.