Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Site Admin

Question Bikes to the left sign on Barbur?

I took the infamous Barbur from downtown once again and to avoid the scary merge--the one where you have to cross two lanes of fast car traffic--I took the sidewalk adjacent to it and there's this sign which reads,"Bicycles to the Left."
I was thinking this meant for bicycles to stay on the roadway. However I did notice further on on the side walk that there's this bicycle lane merge off of the sidewalk. So, are we to stay to the left, not to miss this bicycle lane onramp?
Old 08-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Site Admin

You're supposed to be on that piece of sidewalk - that is the bike lane through that area - and you're supposed to ride to the left on the sidewalk to be visible to and avoid smashing into pedestrians who may be walking on the sidewalk.

At least that's what I've always assumed...
Old 08-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Site Admin

That sidewalk is considered a multi-use pathway for bikes and walkers.

I always thought the "bikes stay left" was intended to keep bikes away from pedestrians stepping off the stairway in the middle of that section.

At the ramp going back onto Barbur, be especially watchful for right-hooks as some people heading to OHSU turn right there to avoid the signalized intersection.