Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Site Admin

Default Deals for the Low Budget Cyclist

Seeing them displayed at Performance Bike just now, I couldn't help posting a notice for these Pearl Izumi ladies road shoes. Sure, PI isn't a great quality shoe, but for $9.99...89 percent off reg retail, if I was a gal on a budget that fit into a, sz 36 or 37, I'd be seriously considering these.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Site Admin

If you're considering a folding bike, this could be a deal for you:

Performance Bike's April 6th 'Deal of the Day', is the 2008 Dahon Curve D3 3-Speed Folding Bike. 2008 Dahon Curve D3 3-Speed Folding Bike at Performance Bike online

Is pink your color? That's all they got. Kind of a cool looking folding bike. Too late for me to dig up a pic I can use.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbob View Post
If you're considering a folding bike, this could be a deal for you:

Performance Bike's April 6th 'Deal of the Day', is the 2008 Dahon Curve D3 3-Speed Folding Bike. 2008 Dahon Curve D3 3-Speed Folding Bike at Performance Bike online

Is pink your color? That's all they got. Kind of a cool looking folding bike. Too late for me to dig up a pic I can use.
That's a heck of a deal. Pink, huh.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Site Admin

So honestly...how many patches do you have on your tubes from repeated flats over the winter onslaught of road crew applications of fine gravel during snow and ice? I know that not everyone's running Schwalbe's, tuffies, and so on.

Always nice to stock up on new tubes when they're cheap. Tomorrow, the 15th of April is your chance at Performance bike:

The website wants you to order online, but if there's a store nearby, they'll honor the online price. That's what I did last time they were on sale. Note: 1:30pm: forum member 'dmc' just brought to my attention that the link I posted fot the Daily Deal doesn't go right to the page for the tubes on the website. I just substituted that one for the correct link. Actually though, the Daily Deal is always in its own little box to the left of the screen, on every page.

Last edited by wsbob; 04-15-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Site Admin

wow

~~~~
1736 Southwest Alder Street, Portland, OR
(503) 224-0297
~~~~
Mall 205, 9988 Southeast Washington Street, Portland, OR
(503) 408-8150
~~~~
17942 McEwan Road, Portland, OR
(503) 639-2522 ‎
~~~~
3850 SW Hall Blvd., Beaverton, OR
(503) 644-3246
~~~~
7071 SW Nyberg Street, Tualatin, OR
(503) 639-2522
~~~~
or this for a map of Performance Bicycle locations in the Portland area: http://maps.google.com/maps?um=1&ie=...ed=0CAQQtgMwAQ
~~~~

I hope they have ample stock. Im gonna go buy at least 5 tomorrow (edit: Today. Time of post 12:20am). Rain or shine.

Last edited by dmc; 04-14-2011 at 11:22 PM. Reason: date correction
Old 04-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Site Admin

I'm just kind of giving this thread a bump in the event that may help other bikeforum browsers catch on this deal.

dmc ....glad if the notice helps you save a few bucks! 5 tubes, $2 savings each, is $10 that'll be nice to have available to put towards something else! ( And thanks for posting those store addresses for people's convenience.).

If you go to the Beaverton store, I can vouch that the employees are good, friendly people, such as Will. By the way, he's vice-chair of the Beaverton Bike Advisory Committee. So, while there, if any questions occurred to you about what the committee is doing, you might ask and see if he has a moment to answer them for you.

Last edited by wsbob; 04-15-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:39 AM
Site Admin

Whoo-hoo! Performance Bicycle online, again has the Dahon Curve D3 3-Speed Folding Bike on sale for the 'Deal of the Day':

Dahon Curve D3 3-Speed Folding Bike April 28 at Performance Bicycle

Site says 'low inventory', but any color you want...as long as it's PINK.

For those of you that have been reading maus's stories of this week and comments to them on the main page, about Trimet's dithering over how best to accommodate transit riders that use a bike for part of their commute, if you're one of the transit agency's customers that fall into that category, this may be the answer for you.

Last edited by wsbob; 04-28-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Site Admin

I like PINK. The 3-speeds are what is the showstopper. My house to MAX - either stop - includes a Hill. Good for the east side, though.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:09 AM
Site Admin

There's only three customer reviews on page the link takes you to, but they're informative. One spec about the bike to consider is the 16" wheels. One review remarks that the ride is rough. They attribute that to the small wheels (Dahon and other folders make bikes with larger wheels, like 20").

Still, the bike could probably be very good for some people needing only to travel a mile or two from the train or bus to home/work, or for generally goofing around, such as a ride around the waterfront and the eastside esplanade. And the bike ls very hot!! ( I know-w-w you like pink !)

I'd love to try one out for some short runs in my area. It actually would probably be very good for points within Central Beaverton. So just consider:
A person living in Portland, has business in Central Beaverton. They're willing..actually would like to bike around Beaverton to tend to their business, but they don't want to mess with wrangling a full size bike on the MAX, trusting luck that they'll snag one of the sparse few bike specific spots on the train, or having to stick they're precious bike out on the front of a bus...and having to watch closely so some yahoo doesn't steal it off the front of the bus.

This little mini-folding bike could be just the ticket.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Site Admin

It's kind of u-u-ugly, IMO, but if you really dig on carbon, this carbon fiber water bottle cage on Performance Bicycle's 'Deal of the Day' may be for you
(in case you're wondering why I'm posting deals for this online store rather than some others...that also have deals...it's because this one has stores in Portland and Beaverton, so you can go to the store, get the deal and beat the postage.).

Check out that markdown! It's kind of weird, dramatically steep drop, and tells a bit about product marketing. Go into the store itself; the price on the item may be different than any of those listed in the link above. Why? I'm not sure. Is this actually a really good deal for a carbon fiber bottle cage like this? I'm not sure about that either. I'm happy with what I've got, which is one of those aluminum cages made by Taxc, popular with racers some years back.

Performance Bicycle also has other carbon fiber water bottle cages available, also on sale but not as good a deal as this. What the deal is though, about carbon fiber cages...I'm not sure. Maybe it's 'the look'. It probably isn't weight, because the cage above is 29 grams, compared to a very reasonably priced, $13.00 traditional styled stainless steal cage for 45 grams. Sounds like a big weight difference, but the fact is, that's only a half-ounce difference.

Last edited by wsbob; 05-02-2011 at 10:34 AM.