Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Red face Name that problem spot...

Over the years, I've found a number of problem spots that I keep having to call back on... As I talk to various officials about the locations, I end up giving them names...

Here's a new one... The Burlingame Trench...

Located in front of TriMet's Stop ID 199, on Barbur Blvd (and the Burlingame Fred Meyer Location), it's a deep trench that I nearly hooked my right pedal on edge of when I found myself deep inside of it.

So, anybody else have nicknames for problem spots? Upload a picture and share it with us. Who knows, we might even be able to get them fixed... like that curve on the Hellway was.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 03-09-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Site Admin

That "trench" can be a bit of a surprise if you are not looking for it. Its been there for years. Its on my regular work commute and on frisky days I like to bunny hop it, I may even miss it a little if it gets fixed
Old 03-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Site Admin

there's ones of those at the bus stop on Holgate in front of Walgreens on SE 82nd... but be an issue with poor pavement and lots of heavy bus traffic... never taken a picture of mine... but I always avoid it because it almost caught me once...
Old 03-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb So, who would you call about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
there's ones of those at the bus stop on Holgate in front of Walgreens on SE 82nd... but be an issue with poor pavement and lots of heavy bus traffic... never taken a picture of mine... but I always avoid it because it almost caught me once...
My bet would be 503 823 1700 (Portland Maintenance Dept's 24 Hour Hotline) would be a great start...

But if that doesn't work, you can try something from my Metro Area phone contacts list.

Can you get us some pix?

Thanks!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 07-03-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb The Powell Crater...

Tourist who can't get to Crater Lake might try to find this. This crater is known to rival Crater Lake in both size and depth...

SE Powell, near 82nd

I called it in back in December, haven't had a chance to check and see if anything was done yet.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 03-10-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Exclamation Then there's the Sarlacc

Fortunately, only found on Tatooine, and in Chicago...

They recently did a fix that reminds me of Arizona...
Old 07-03-2011, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Talking Reviving this old thread

Got a PM from a long time reader, and new poster, to revive this thread...

Found it.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Site Admin

I have a troubling transition on Baseline eastbound across 185th. The bike lane dumps into a dual right turn situation and the bike lane dead ends into a pedestrian crossing. Seems is could have been done better but I don't know exactly how. When I take the middle lane as traffic back at the 185th light, people in Beamers get really upset. Don't know why
Old 07-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
I have a troubling transition on Baseline eastbound across 185th. The bike lane dumps into a dual right turn situation and the bike lane dead ends into a pedestrian crossing. Seems is could have been done better but I don't know exactly how. When I take the middle lane as traffic back at the 185th light, people in Beamers get really upset. Don't know why
With dial-up, I didn't want to take the time to snapshot the google earth view of the intersection, load it up to picasa web and post it here in the forums. Basically though the situation you describe involves two very big, wide thoroughfares and a complex intersection. Posted speed on both...guessing...is probably 35mph. The bike lane exists on both west and east sides of the intersection, but for people traveling by bike, I don't see how that really much helps enough to make these roads very usable by people that aren't very experienced, confident and assertive.

Looking at a wide angle on the google aerial photo view, reveals a story of what could of been, or...may at some point, still could be. Notice all of the housing developments and retail developments in all all directions out from the intersection of 185th and Baseline; Almost all of that, with the exception of the plant nursery (big blocks of gray roofs.) is relatively recent, dating back to the eighties. Greater foresight then, for what was in store for this area, would have supported creating a separate cycle path...like Springville corridor, paralleling Baseline. Today, creating such a thing would be an ominous undertaking.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Site Admin

You have it right, Bob... that re-routing to only allow right turns onto north-bound 185th was relatively recent due to MAX. It was shoe-horned in and it works fine for cars but no so much for cycists. I can see a forced lane change for cars would have worked better with a bike lane designated as a through-way. I suspect this is a significant commuting route and really should be revisited by the appropriate authority.