Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Site Admin

Default Banks-Vernonia Trail question

Anyone here know how often the Bank-Vernonia Trail is cleared of debris? I went up there yesterday and had to turn around less than halfway from Banks because there were trees blocking the trail, to the point where I couldn't get past it. It's a great trail and I'm eager to do the entire thing.

DR
Old 03-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Site Admin

Maybe a notification to the park and rec peeps. Let them know there is "a hazard on the trail" and give them a location. They will get to it right away
Old 03-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Site Admin

3/7/11, Rode on the trail from a spot just west of Banks. The bulk of the trees were removed, sawdust from chainsaws and all. A lot of branches on the path though but not impassable. Made it up to Stubbs Steward park but the snow got too deep the other side of the park. It was single track in the snow for about a half mile prior to the park (on the east side). Not a single person on the path.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Site Admin

Default Getting to Banks-Vernonia

Has anyone figured out a decent way to get to the trail from Portland? I'd love to take mass transit to within a few miles of the trailhead, and ride up to Stub, but Tri-Met just doesn't get me close enough. Any thoughts? I know the Tillamook line runs through Banks, but it runs so infrequently, it seems like if you miss the bus, you're kinda screwed.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Site Admin

It would be great if there was a direct shot to Banks, but there's not. US26 seems to be the only straight shot. As for transit, I don't know of anything that would help get you north of Hillsboro, Cornelius/Forest Grove. Hwy 47 on a bike is pretty nerve racking near Banks.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Site Admin

I have taken MAX to last stop in Hillsboro then biked from there. I think its about 15 miles to Banks, but within 1 mile of leaving Max you are on some very rural low travel roads. Most of the route is on quiet roads, some are packed gravel back roads with no cars. I have done it a few times and always enjoyed the ride. I can't remember the whole route but you do go thru "downtown" Roy. I could map the route if that would be helpful.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Site Admin

I am also interested in this route.

Perhaps bobcycle is talking about a route close to the Northeast path of the following loop: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...e-forest-Grove ?
Old 04-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc View Post
I am also interested in this route.

Perhaps bobcycle is talking about a route close to the Northeast path of the following loop: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...e-forest-Grove ?
DMC, good route. A rider could also go from Wilkesboro and turn onto Aerts Road, which crosses Highway 6. Take Aerts Road to Banks Road (it's a T), turn west. You'll go up and down a couple of small hills and when you get to Banks you'll be right at the beginning of the trail.

DR
Old 04-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Site Admin

That route on the right hand side is similar to the one I took. It is a nice ride. I went across hwy 6 to avoid the little 47 trek but ended up climbing a bit around the golf course and dropping down right at the trailhead along Banks Rd.

From the last stop at Max
Head West on Main 3 blocks and follow the route sheet: Connell goes to the right off of Main
11. Turn right at NW Connell Ave
0.8 mi
12. Continue onto NW Hornecker Rd
2.3 mi
13. Turn right at NW Susbauer Rd
1.0 mi
14. Take the 1st left onto NW Wren Rd
0.9 mi
15. Turn right at NW Cornelius Schefflin Rd
0.4 mi
16. Take the 2nd left onto NW Roy Rd
0.9 mi
17. Turn left to stay on NW Roy Rd
2.0 mi
18. Turn left at NW Wilkesboro Rd
1.3 mi
19. Turn right at NW Aerts Rd
1.0 mi
20. Turn left at NW Banks Rd
0.9 mi
21. Turn right at NW Sellers Rd
92 ft

I get 12 miles from downtown Hillsboro. It's 16 from my house.

Last edited by Simple Nature; 04-03-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Site Admin

If you don't want to turn on Aerts Rd (BIG rollers ), continue on to Hwy 47 and turn right. Really, no biggie. I ride through there quite often.