Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Site Admin

Default Caught on Video

Have a helmet camera? Catch another road user doing something they shouldn't be doing? Here's a place to post a link to it on youtube. (And, if I can ever figure it out, embed youtube videos.)

I'll start. From the description of the video on youtube:

Quote:
Someone of questionable intelligence yelling something unintelligible from a passing car while I'm riding my bicycle on Oleson Road, in suburban Portland, Oregon. Caught on my helmet cam. Sadly, the license plate was a blur when I went over it frame by frame. You do hear me saying at the end of the video, "I think he just bought himself an appearance on youtube." About 3:35PM, 1/9/2011, southbound SW Oleson Road at SW Hunt Club Road, suburban Portland Oregon.
And, here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuRUtYZDWcA
Old 01-29-2011, 08:48 PM
Site Admin

Default "Good Samaritan" Right Hook, Beaverton-Hillsdale just east of Shattuck

From the description on youtube:

Quote:
Video from my helmet camera, 1/24/2011 about 8:30AM, Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway just east of the Shattuck Road intersection. I was right hooked. I call this a "Good Samaritan" right hook because as you can see in the video, the driver is waiting for a pedestrian on the sidewalk. In Oregon, right turning drivers are not allowed to merge into the bike lane. They are supposed to wait for bicycle traffic and then make their turn.

It was good that the driver waited for the pedestrian. It would have been better if he had just stayed in his lane and waited for both the pedestrian and me.
Here the license plate:

24559 Good Samaritan Right Hook by pdxcommuter, on Flickr

Here's the link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzvchwIgHe4
Old 01-29-2011, 11:46 PM
Site Admin

Default Speeder on Barbur Southbound, at Hooker

Quote:
This is helmet cam video from 7/23/2010, late afternoon, Barbur and Hooker, Portland, Oregon, USA. I took this about 2 weeks after I got the helmet cam.

There are at least 2 road user errors in this video. The second is, of course, the car speeding southbound on Barbur. I went over the video frame by frame but I couldn't make out the license plate.

The first road user mistake is the other bicyclist turning right to go northbound on Barbur without stopping for the stop sign.

But, you say, the intersection is controlled by a stop LIGHT, not a SIGN. No, you are incorrect. Look at the video again, around 0:05. Vehicular traffic from the side street, Hooker, is controlled by a stop sign. When vehicle traffic on Barbur is clear, traffic from Hooker can proceed after stopping for the stop sign.

Pedestrians have a button-actuated crosswalk signal. The crosswalk signal makes the light for Barbur go red; the pedestrians get a walk signal.

So I was not running a red light when I went through the intersection in this video. I had stopped for the stop sign, saw that the traffic was clear, and proceeded with my left turn.

Just after I got to the bike lane on the far side I was passed by a speeding car going southbound on Barbur. As you can see, I looked northbound on Barbur before entering the intersection.

Since I took this video, I only cross with the walk signal. Either I go up on the sidewalk and press the button to make the light turn, or I take advantage of a pedestrian that has already pressed the button. If I can, I then reposition on Hooker to make a vehicular left turn. But, usually the walk light comes on too quickly for that, so I make a "box" or "Copenhagen" left turn: cross Barbur in the crosswalk, position the bike southbound and wait for the green light.

I'd like the City of Portland to make this a regular 4-way stop light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfDiFMwGhZg
Old 01-30-2011, 12:28 AM
Site Admin

Default 362 EAX Right Hook, Scholls Ferry Road

Quote:
This is helmet cam video, 10/25/2010, about 7PM, Scholls Ferry Road southwest-bound, just past Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway, suburban Portland, Oregon.

After I made the left turn from westbound BH onto southwest-bound Scholls Ferry, I was right hooked by 362 EAX. He was turning into the Chevron next to the Walgreens. You hear me say, "Car on the left!" which is my standard warning to cars who may be about to right hook me. Then I say, "Good evening. And how are you tonight?" It's not the most brilliant thing I have ever said. But it's a lot more polite than what I was thinking.
Here's the license plate:

362 EAX right hook by pdxcommuter, on Flickr

And, here's the link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlasOg-v2w8

Last edited by setha; 01-30-2011 at 12:29 AM. Reason: fixed the link to the license plate
Old 01-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Site Admin

Default Car Pushes its Way Into Bike Lane. Plate: HANA 3

Quote:
This is helmet cam video from 1/9/2011, about 4PM, taken on Hall Blvd,. just west of Scholls Ferry Road, Beaverton, Oregon.

A silver SUV wanted to make a left turn from the Progress Shopping Center onto Hall Blvd., southeast-bound. The driver stopped with the front of his car partially blocking the bike lane.

I decided to not try to "shoot the gap" between the his car and the motor vehicle lane. As you can see in the video around 0:17, this was probably a good idea. A Tri-Met LIFT bus was in the motor vehicle lane.

I was already stopped. The driver wasn't backing up. I couldn't really see the driver through his heavily tinted windows. So I waved him through. Sometimes I can get drivers who stop in the bike lane like this to back up and let me through. Not this time.

I was able to see his license plate, although I couldn't make it out on the video. You hear me read the license plate, "HANA 3". Then you hear me say, "I wonder." I was wondering whether HANA 3 had anything to do with a story that I read recently on bikeportland.org. See http://bikeportland.org/2010/09/13/h...-victory-39375 .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opq_F4DqDf8
Old 01-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Site Admin

Default Car Pushes its Way into Bike Lane. Plate *RH 380

Quote:
This is helmet cam video from 1/23/2011, about 4:30PM. Cresmoor and Hall Blvd., near Green Lane, Beaverton, Oregon, USA.

As you can in the video, I 'm coming down the hill on Hall as she's moving into the bike lane from Cresmoor. She's already shown that she doesn't understand that she's supposed to stop for the bike lane. You can see her stop line, behind her rear bumper. And so I'm reluctant to just go in front of her, in the motor vehicle lane. There may also be a motor vehicle there. So I stop. She does back up, just clearing what I consider to be the space where the bike lane goes through the intersection.

I was only able to get a partial on the license plate when I went over the video frame by frame. It's some-letter RH 380.
Here's two stills from the video of the front plate:

something_rh380 by pdxcommuter, on Flickr

something_rh380_no2 by pdxcommuter, on Flickr

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMAgmVefvus
Old 02-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Site Admin

Looks like XRH to me....
Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Site Admin

like how the car backs up 2 foot and not the whole distance, why not more. I can see the reason for the creep for the car however. Poor visibility to see cross traffic at the stop line.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Site Admin

Default Comcast Trucks Using Bike Lane as Work Area

Quote:
Helmet camera video, 2/9/2011, about 8:40AM, Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway, just west of Dosch Road, Portland, Oregon. Two Comcast contractor trucks and a trailer with a cable spool were blocking the bike lane.

I had previously thought that utility workers had an exemption from parking in the bike lane. However, I can't remember where that is in the ORS.

In any case, you can see on the video where one of the workers is removing a flagger ahead sign from one of the trucks. I think it would be better if they put out the flagger ahead sign first, then had the flagger directing traffic, before they actually blocked a traffic (in this case the bicycle) lane.
Here's a couple of still pictures from the video:

Anyone know for sure if utility trucks can use the bike lane for parking?

And, here's the youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDu9CRJimMs
Old 02-10-2011, 07:33 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by setha View Post
Anyone know for sure if utility trucks can use the bike lane for parking?
there was an Ask BikePortland article on the front page in August about parking in the bike lane...

Check out this comment for exemptions...

it says that city and county maintenance works can block the lane, but says nothing about contractors of private businesses... I'd assume they would need to get a permit to block a lane of travel, and then put up signs and possibly provide a flagger...

so it may be valid to call parking enforcement and report them...

Tags
bicycle lane, left hook, portland oregon usa, right hook, smidsy/smidgaf