Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2010, 06:43 AM
Site Admin

Default CAUTION: Bike right-of-way on Springwater

And we thought we only had to worry about cars!
Please be alert when riding through the 205 bike path intersection and Springwater corridor just east of SE 92nd. The bushes and trees screen any good look to the right or left from any of the four points of entry. 205 riders think they have right of way and speed through. As do Springwater riders.

Does one route really have priority right-of-way? Or is it a 4-way Idaho stop? As it is, it seems that most riders aren't even aware of the interesection and don't even look. I've nearly had 3 collisions there since it reopened last fall.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:27 AM
Site Admin

I imagine it is like any intersection without traffic control: first to arrive has right-of-way. If two bikes arrive at the same time, you must yield to the person on your right. Anyone turning across a lane must yield to oncoming traffic.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Site Admin

You and I know about the person on right getting the nod, but the construction of that intersection and the visual obstacle by vegetation has people blowing through in both directions.
Someone is going to get hurt.
Just wanting to send out a "heads up!"
I wonder if there's some sort of mirror arrangement ODOT could put in there?
Old 09-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent Bloke View Post
I imagine it is like any intersection without traffic control: first to arrive has right-of-way.
Actually the rule for cars is NOT who arrives first. It is the person on the right, no matter when they arrive.

From Oregon Revised Statutes: (emphasis mine)
Failure to yield right of way at uncontrolled intersection
(1) A person commits the offense of failure to yield the right of way at an uncontrolled intersection if the person is operating a motor vehicle that is approaching an uncontrolled highway intersection and the person does not look out for and give right of way to any driver on the right simultaneously approaching a given point, regardless of which driver first reaches and enters the intersection.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Site Admin

yes, I mentioned this in the "Springwater Trail repaving update (it's almost done!)" article from 8/31...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
and please put some traffic control signs at the intersection of the I-205 path... and any other path-on-path intersections...
I have only had one close call, but I don't ride it all the time... and I'm usually coming east turning north when I do... and on that close call a couple was coming north and I turned north into the oncoming bike lane to avoid them... luckily nobody was coming south on the 205 path or I would have been totally humiliated...

I'm torn on which way should have a stop sign... I'm thinking the 205 path should have the stop... the Springwater seems to be the dominant path at that point...
Old 09-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheRoad View Post
Actually the rule for cars is NOT who arrives first. It is the person on the right, no matter when they arrive.

From Oregon Revised Statutes: (emphasis mine)
Failure to yield right of way at uncontrolled intersection
(1) A person commits the offense of failure to yield the right of way at an uncontrolled intersection if the person is operating a motor vehicle that is approaching an uncontrolled highway intersection and the person does not look out for and give right of way to any driver on the right simultaneously approaching a given point, regardless of which driver first reaches and enters the intersection.
Thanks for that. I always thought (and I feel this is what most people assume) that first to reach the intersection get ROW, and ties go to the vehicle on the right. Interesting that the statute also goes on to state "(3) A person entering an intersection at an unlawful speed shall forfeit any right of way the person would otherwise have under subsection (1) of this section." Speeders lose their ROW.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Site Admin

I'd be happy with a "Bike x'ing" caution sign on each corner