Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2008, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Angry Never, never, never, never again!!!

I will NEVER AGAIN use the Roy Rogers/Scholls route from Sherwood to Beaverton after dark until a bike lane is finished from Barrows Rd to Murray!!! I'll take 99W and Hwy 217 rather than risk a repeat of last nights ride.

On Roy Rogers, the motorists were fine, none of them were rude, or scary... which was amazing concidering that there was a THOUSAND of them passing me. That road is increadibly busy, and at night, the oncoming traffic was a constant annoyance due to their lights (imagine, I'm complaining about too much light). I'm not typically bothered by road noise, but with all the traffic in both directions I couldn't hear myself think (and I normally commute on a freeway shoulder). I'm saddened by this, cause it's really got some nice features, it's just too DAMN BUSY!

Lots of roadwork is being done on Scholls, which is fine, but from Barrows Rd to Murray theres still a gap with no bike lane (and no indication that it's going to be installed anytime soon). I had to hug the fogline after cresting the hill due to the large amount of traffic in both directions (all while being blinded by oncoming traffic). When I checked behind me to see if I could finally take the lane (while rapidly picking up speed on the downhill), I drifted off the pavement (sudden drop) and banged up my left pedal! It hit so hard, I honestly thought that I was going to crash. I went back and looked and I was able to find the scrape marks from my pedal on the pavement (had I had with me a working camera I'd have taken a picture). I highly doubt a mirror would have helped me because of all the oncoming lights.

Until that area gets a full width bike lane, I'm staying off of it, it's TOO DAMNED SCARY!

Be Safe!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 11-10-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Site Admin

I agree, no fun at all. That little section is bad, then you get to descend to Murray after. It feels like you will be taken out at any moment from all directions as you are flying down that hill.

Barrows is a better option.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:37 AM
Site Admin

Barrows is a way better option, especially now that they have the connector finished to Scholls at Murray.

Roy Rogers isn't so bad; it's a fun piece of road with no stop signs or traffic signals the entire length of it. The shoulders can get a bit dodgy with dead animals and debris, though.

Scholls: I stay off it as long as I can. I hate riding that road. And that's besides the here-then-gone bike lane! If you insist on riding Scholls, I recommend taking the lane at that point.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Site Admin

I love riding Roy Rogers, its so beautiful and a nice change of scenery. Almost reminds me of the Midwest ( im from there originally) I usually don't go on Murray because all of that traffic intimidates me a little. I usually take 155th down to Teal Blvd, and cross scholls ferry onto SW Horizon, right onto Barrows, Follow the roundabout(these are so much fun) onto Roshak (3rd exit), go all the way down until it curves left and take the first right, til it ends turn right, first left all the way down until Bull Mountain rd, right on that, left on Roy Rodgers.

And I agree. I took Sholls once, I will never do it again
Old 11-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Site Admin

I live in the Sterling Park neighborhood, which is in the last bit of that stretch of Scholls Ferry (between the stoplights at Blackbird and Loon/Barrows). The above posters are correct. It's better to go a half mile out of your way via Barrows to either Horizon (hilly) or the Murray/Walnut extension. That bit of Scholls between Teal and Barrows/Loon is a fatal accident waiting to happen.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Site Admin

barrows is definately the way to go. it bypasses the hill and the traffic flow is way less than on scholls ferry. Oh and by the way this is my first post, long time lurker first time poster. It feels good to finally offer my $0.02
Old 11-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Talking Welcome to the party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scholzj View Post
Oh and by the way this is my first post, long time lurker first time poster. It feels good to finally offer my $0.02
Welcome to the party! I hope you'll add more than just $0.02

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh
Old 07-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Site Admin

Default Grand Illusional Ride

I recently took the second Burrows exit point by accident and ended up on Scholl's ferry a couple of blocks closer to home! Wow, and I thought I was going for a Roy Roger's cruise ride only to find out that I'm pointed toward home and many blocks up from where I turned onto Burrows. Anyone else feel the disorientation of this roadway?
I can see your point regarding the scary assent up that hill on Scholls with little margin for error. At night it would be especially unnerving.

I rode on Roy Rogers SW and wow what a nice road! It will remain a personal favorite!

Last edited by Dovestrobe; 07-05-2011 at 12:25 PM.