Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2010, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Smile More pruning along the way...

Often when I ride on SW Bel-Aire Lane in Beaverton, I've had to move out into the lane to avoid the low branches from this tree.

Yesterday, I went up to the house, and explained the problem to the owner, and offered to prune it for her. She agreed, and after a few sweaty minutes (it was 95F yesterday) you can clearly see the difference.

See Something? Say Something!!!
K'Tesh
Old 08-18-2010, 08:16 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
Yesterday, I went up to the house, and explained the problem to the owner, and offered to prune it for her. She agreed, and after a few sweaty minutes (it was 95F yesterday) you can clearly see the difference.
way to get on the good side of residents!

a motor vehicle driver would probably just trim them with the corner of their vehicle on the way by rather than asking permission to clip them properly...
Old 08-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Site Admin

Cool

Sweeping broken glass off the 205 bike path between Burnside and Clack Town Center is an almost daily occurence this summer. I like beer as much as the next guy (or gal), but where does the urge to shatter the bottle on the sidewalk come from? The broom extending of the back of my bike makes me look like the wicked witch and I WILL send the flying monkeys on anyone I catch not recycling their bottles in a socially acceptable way.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Site Admin

Default 25 cent bottle deposits

As I mentioned here we need 25 cent bottle deposits.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Thumbs down Don't respond? Ok... How's this?

I contacted Ron Powell at Cedar Hills Crossing last month when I spotted an unsafe storm drain near the old GI Joes location. I don't go down this road all that often. So, when I traveled past it again recently, and found no change, I sent this to him, Jonathan, the BTA, and the city of Beaverton.

Quote:
Hi All,

I'm reporting these two hazards to cyclists that exist at Cedar Hills Crossing. The first is a circular storm drain grate that could catch a bike's wheel where a cyclist could then be struck by a car. It's located near the old GI Joes store, in the driveway that leads towards McDonald's. Sure, there's a stop line, but there's a lot of unobstructed views of SW Hall in all directions, and a cyclist *might* blow it, and crash some evening.

The other issue is on the sidewalk along the busy Cedar Hills Blvd. where there is no bike lane. Some kind of damage has occurred to the sidewalk, adjacent to the driveway closest to the Bank Of America location. It's a problem for all wheeled users of the sidewalk (wheelchairs, skateboarders, roller blades, and bikes). It's also deep enough to perhaps trip someone, or twist an ankle.

I've uploaded images of the hazards here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike...7624687749585/
I wonder what's going to happen now?
Old 09-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Site Admin

Default Blackberry and weed patch at Beaverton-Hillsdale and 18th mowed

Maybe it was the complaint I submitted on July 13, but last week I noticed that the blackberry and weed patch at BH and 18th, which was growing into the bike lane, finally got mowed.

Here's the before and after videos.

I'm still waiting for them to do something about the road closed sign which is partially blocking the bike lane at 18th and BH. Yes, a solution to that is to simply leave the bike lane and take the adjacent bus lane. That's a potentially dangerous solution, because the buses are moving slowly there, bus engines are in the back of the bus, so its possible for a bus to already be passing by the time you hear it. Yes, a solution to that is to turn around and look to make sure the lane is clear, first. I'd rather they didn't partially block the bike lane.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Site Admin

Default Blackberry vines in the bike lane: so what? Here's why it's an important safety issu

My latest youtube video shows why blackberry vines and other vegetation growing into the bike lane is a safety issue. Here's the description from that video:

Quote:
You may be asking, so if the blackberry vines are in the bike lane, so what? Blackberry vines have sharp thorns. Dodging around them, particularly here on Capitol between Barbur and Terwilliger in Portland Oregon, means potentially going into the car lane. And the car lane sometimes has cars speeding by at excessive speeds, as this video shows. (I can't say for sure, but I think the dark colored car is violating the speed limit.)

The League of American BIcyclists has given Portland the League's Platinum level BIcycle Friendly Community designation. That Portland allows hazards like this to persist, after I've submitted complaints to the City about them, says to me that Portland doesn't deserve that Platinum rating. In a real Platinum level Bicycle Friendly Community, a city crew would be out the day I made the complaint, trimming back this mess. Some of the adjacent property on this section of Capitol is private, some is public. The City would also bill the private property owners for their share of the problem. And its not just this spot that's overgrown. See my other videos for where the vegetation is overgrown on Capitol, ranging from Barbur all the way up to near Wilson High School.

This also shows that I have to make sure the helmet cam lens doesn't have dirt on it from the recent rain.
I'm emailing a link to the video to the Mayor's office and to Andy Clarke at the League.

Is it time for a "in a real Platinum level Bicycle Friendly Community we wouldn't have...." thread?

Last edited by setha; 09-04-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by setha View Post
Maybe it was the complaint I submitted on July 13, but last week I noticed that the blackberry and weed patch at BH and 18th, which was growing into the bike lane, finally got mowed.

Here's the before and after videos.
Nice job on the before and after videos! Maintenance and repair is clearly an important component of bike infrastructure. Does anyone here know if Portland has a separate department or individual overseeing bike lane and MUP maintenance?
Old 09-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Site Admin

Default Peninsula Crossing Trail

On Saturday, the 4th of September, every Freshman at the University of Portland participated in a day of volunteer service. Many groups worked on trail maintenance in the Portland area. My group was assigned to work on the Peninsula Crossing Trail in North Portland. While others trimmed back ivy along the path, I helped pick up garbage, including spending a good amount of time sweeping up a couple bottles worth of broken glass. The flat we helped prevent could have been yours!

This past Saturday, the 11th, I was also cycling up along Skyline Blvd north of Germantown road, when I stopped for a cyclist with a flat. Luckily, all he needed was a little vulcanizing fluid for his patch kit, and he was good to go. I was glad to be able to help.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Thumbs down What's wrong with this grate? It's in front of a care center...

I noticed this storm drain grate and called it in yesterday. It's not safe for the residents of this house, nor their children (see the basketball hoop?). I was told that it was evaluated by Portland's Sewer Dept. and determined to be safe.

This grate is not safe for the residents of this home.

I disagree. Turns out that's a care facility, and it has a wheelchair ramp.

Here you can see the handrail of the wheelchair ramp.

Typically you don't have wheelchair ramps unless someone uses a wheelchair. What would happen if that person were to lose control somehow (say on an icy morning), and roll down the driveway?

I talked to a supervisor today. It still wasn't replaced by this afternoon, but I suspect it won't be long before it is replaced.

Never Give Up!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 12-14-2010 at 11:53 PM.

Tags
community service, diy, public service, self-help, volunteer