Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2008, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

I took my challenge serious today.

I decided to check on things along SW Hall Blvd, Beaverton again. This is my old commute route, prior to switching to the Fanno Creek Trail, and Hwy 217.

I can honestly say, that starting from the Beaverton Transit Center, and conlcuding at the Tigard Transit Center, following the 76/78 bus routes, I cannot see an area without a tree, bush, or bramble that I haven't personally cut into compliance (8' above the ROW), or called and complained about to code services. (I'm more hands on, so code services only got the big jobs).

Today, it was an old favorite... These two pine trees, on Hall, approaching the railroad crossing near SW Cascade have drooped below 6 feet above the sidewalk (again).

I did a lot of cutting, and now they are above 8 feet again (for how long???)..

I also cut on blackberry bushes on SW Cascade, took out a wild tree that was pushing thru the asphalt there. This morning heading into work, I removed some debris from the Greenburg/Hwy 217 SB onramp (got a few thumbs up and friendly beeps from passers by).

The next morning, I took this photo... you can now ride thru without hitting branches (even with your hand held above your head).

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 06-20-2008 at 12:57 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:07 AM
Site Admin

Default A slightly different approach...

OK this may sound like a totally lazy-arse excuse, but...

There's this nice, obvious - can see it from 3 blocks away - pile of glass in the bike lane on SE 96th in front of the Christian High School and across the street from the entrance to the N-S MAX construction.

I seriously thought about sweeping it up, but then my mind took an odd turn:

a) It's so obvious it's unbelievable that the people at the school or the construction/road dudes haven't done a thing for over a month.

b) It's an educational opportunity. I can't count the times my E. Side neighbors have complained: "Why do bikers leave the bike lane?" They usually can't see what we do in the bike lane... but this case is different.

That stretch is well traveled and I have (carefully, mind you) made a huge display of leaving the bike lane - waving to the vehicles approaching behind me and apologizing as I plaintively point to the glass.

Reactions to my actions from drivers range from a friendly wave, a shocked widened expression as they see the glass, a sympathetic nod and a casual acknowledgement of my plight as they either pass or slow to let me get around the hazard.

I've got to think I'm getting a few "Aha... oh I never thought about that!" moments from more than a few drivers. For the last two weeks every single driver has noted the glass and reactions have been positive.

That said - I'm probably going to pick it up this weekend.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Thumbs up Sherwood and Tigard are a lot better tonight...

Today, I was in Sherwood...

ODOT is working on my complaint with the hedge overgrowing the bike lane WB at the Rock Creek Bridge... They didn't finish, but it's a hell of a lot better.

Before and after trimming, the hedge at Rock Creek Bridge on 99W WB

As I rode home, I found numerous black locust weeds (oops, trees) growing around 124th on the EB side... Took photos... lots of photos, then headed for home.

I noticed that there are a lot of REALLY ANNOYING ommissions for bike safety on the Tualatin River Bridge, but I didn't have enough light to take the pics I wanted, so I get to do them again... But I did manage to do some trimming on the East side of the bridge...

Um, where did that speed limit sign come from?

and just a few yards away...

I carried on into Tigard, and when I got to the viaduct I found some of the things I want for the Tualatin River Bridge... and some that I didn't... So, more pruning...

Before and after pruning tonight on the Tigard Viaduct.

This is the area behind me in the photo you see in the Now You See it... Now You Don't... thread.

I left Sherwood at 820pm, I got home at 11pm. Took a shower, and started uploading pics. Oh, yeah, I also called Beaverton Code Service and complained about the trees that were planted along SW Hall, near Albertsons... they are a bit low, and they've had time to grow since being planted a couple of years ago.

I'm still going strong... There are opportunities out there for all of us to make improvements... Photos, emails, letters to the editor, phone calls, pruining, sweeping you name it...

Keep Up the Good Work!!!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 06-21-2008 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Thumbs down Blackberries and Branches...

Used the Tigard Website Code Enforcement Compliance Inquiry Form‏ to report blackberries and branches overgrowing the bikelane/sidewalks.

Blackberries overgrowing the bikelane on SW Hall near SW Garden Place.

Tree overgrowing the sidewalk on SW Greenburg, near SW 94th Ave.

Headed back to Sherwood to see if the Rock Creek Bridge had been finished... Nope... But I did hack on it for a half hour and now it isn't overhanging the bikelane. I didn't do as nice a job as ODOT, but it is clear for cyclists.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 06-20-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Talking Finished My Work On Tigard's Viaduct Tonight...

I've spent several evenings working on 99W, mosty on the Tigard Viaduct, and the Tualatin River Bridge... Here's the Viaduct pics...

Note: EB on the Viaduct, we have a Bike Lane marked... Not so on the WB

Just past the SW Main/SW Johnson St and 99W intersection, this is the beginning of the Eastbound Tigard Overcrossing (Viaduct).

Note: Could you see the sign? Can you now?

That sign is going to play a roll in my next personal crusade... Why are there no signs on the lead up to the Westbound side, but two on the Eastbound? Why are there none in either direction on the Tualatin River Bridge?

Damn, that was low... Not anymore!!!

Low branches? We don't need any stinking low branches...

end pt. I

Last edited by K'Tesh; 06-26-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Talking Finished My Work On Tigard's Viaduct Tonight... pt II

Coming off of the viaduct, and no more slaps from branches.

No more getting slapped coming off of the ped area, but...

Peds Prohibited

Peds aren't allowed on the Viaduct Eastbound... Check it out sometime. Wierd...

K'Tesh was here... My calling card

How do you know I was there? Just look for the branches on the ground...

Anybody else got something to show for their work? Post Pics!

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 06-24-2008 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Site Admin

Default Please clean up

Those poor blades of grass. What did they ever do to hurt you? Do you suppose you could move the clippings onto the parking lot or some other place where vulnerable road users don't travel? Neatly trimmed grass should be encouraged; it's relatively innocuous compared to the issues you've been addressing.

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 06-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb I wouldn't worry much about the grass....

Quote:
Originally Posted by djasonpenney View Post
Those poor blades of grass. What did they ever do to hurt you? Do you suppose you could move the clippings onto the parking lot or some other place where vulnerable road users don't travel? Neatly trimmed grass should be encouraged; it's relatively innocuous compared to the issues you've been addressing.
I would worry much about that grass. As you can see in the pic, its well mowed, so it is reasonable to believe that the property has a landscaping company which comes out regularly. I'm sure that they'll handle it...

However, if the landscaping company was doing it's job properly, I wouldn't have needed to prune those trees in the first place.

Also, I work in daylight, but I still don't need some angry misguided person confronting me while I do my "work". I just want to cut and run...

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh
Old 06-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Site Admin

Default okay

finally up and posting. nice work k-tesh. i look horrible in that picture though. perhaps you should do to me as you did to the shrubs.

take care
hunter
Old 06-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Thumbs up Some Updates...

ODOT's pruning at the Rock Creek Bridge is finished...

The hedge at Rock Creek Bridge, before and after

They're now pruning the hedge at Robin's Nest, but not finished

The hedge at Robin's Nest, before and during pruning

Clippings mentioned in djasonpenny's post were removed (not by me) when I went by today.

See, I told you someone would get them, took less than 48 hours

This is what I did today...

SW Center, Beaverton, facing East at the SW Lombard intersection

See, that wasn't too hard... It's now YOUR turn...

Shoutout to Hunter!
Hi Guy! Welcome to the Forum!... Sorry, I'm not going to do any work on your pic... <wink>

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 06-26-2008 at 11:20 PM.

Tags
community service, diy, public service, self-help, volunteer