Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Site Admin

Default Help with Springwater Corridor to Glen Jackson Bridge

I live in SE Portland and would like to ride to my office in Vancouver. I need to find a good route from the Springwater Corridor to the bike bridge over the Glen Jackson. I've looked at maps, Google Earth, etc. without much luck. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Site Admin

Hi,

have you tried/heard of the I-205 bike path? It crosses the Springwater corridor and goes up north along I-205 all the way to the Glen Jackson.

If you're going towards Gresham on the Springwater, you'll cross Bell Ave, stay on the path and you'll reach the I-205 bike path crossing within about a mile. Turn left there and it should take you to Vancouver.

Now, I've never used this route, just heard of it, so not sure if there's anything wrong with it.

I managed to find one decent map that shows where it's at.
http://www.blueberryrides.com/maps/40milemp.htm

Good luck and be safe
Old 05-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Site Admin

Thanks! The map is helpful and I think I spotted the bike path on Google Earth. It looks like the path crosses from the West to East side of 205 at Burnside, but otherwise is a straight shot (with a few other street crossings).

Appreciate the help - happy pedaling.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Site Admin

Hi Chuckbike,

There are 2 good bike maps you might like. One is "Bike There," published by Metro for the Oregon side of the Portland metro area, and the other is "Cycling Clark County." Both are available at bike shops for about $6 each.

The I-205 path is a civic treasure, IMO, a testament to visionary transportation planning. Great access to the Couv, the Marine Drive corridor (and Troutdale), Springwater Corridor, and (with a few minor hiccups enroute) Oregon City. If you don't mind the occasional "freeway feel" of the ride, it's a tremendous asset to getting around on the East Side.

Cheers,

Climber
Old 05-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Site Admin

Thanks much Climber. I'm looking forward to giving it a try - and giving myself an excuse to buy a nice mtn/commute bike. Just saw a sweet Cannondale Bad Boy in the bike rack today...
Old 05-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckbike
Thanks! The map is helpful and I think I spotted the bike path on Google Earth. It looks like the path crosses from the West to East side of 205 at Burnside, but otherwise is a straight shot (with a few other street crossings).
It is a straight shot - I used to ride it frequently. It's even better since they built the bike/ped bridge over Powell. It's a straight shot to Burnside, anyway - at Burnside turn right and stay on the sidewalk while crossing I-205. At the other side there is a crosswalk over the MAX tracks, and then you've got a pedestrian path next to a wall along the tracks. Follow that to Glisan and turn left on the sidewalk to the freeway ramp. Cross Glisan at the ramp - careful, cars exiting the freeway onto Glisan heading for Gateway don't always look before they turn, and this is a hazardous crossing. On the other side of Glisan the bike path picks up again, going past Gateway transit center. From here, just follow the path until it spits you out at Sandy. At Sandy, turn right and follow the sidewalk to the light, cross at the light and then cross Sandy at the light to pick up on the path again. That will take you right to the bridge.

-Matt P.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Site Admin

Thanks Matt. I rode in yesterday with no problems (other than talking quads and glutes). The route was well-marked and I missed only a couple of turns. May bring ear plugs for the 205 bridge next time.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Site Admin

Chuck,

The mile south of Maywood can definitely get your heart rate up. :)