Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Women for Bikes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2007, 09:38 AM
Site Admin

Default newbie questions

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and in about 10 days, new to Portland area. I am an avid cyclist however. I'm not a racer but can cruise solo ~17-18mph for a few hours and slightly faster with a group.

Is there a good central physical location I can go for cycling maps of the Portland area? Will all the bike shops have maps? I'll be in temp quarters for the first month or so and then looking for permanent digs. I'll be working on NW Couch St skidding the Pearl boundary. As I search for permanent digs, are there any paths that a single woman cycling to/from work should watch out for in particular. Both from a crime/loose dog/traffic perspective?

As for recreation riding are there any trails, regardless of time of day that are risky from a crime perspective? When I lived in NJ there was a great trail overall but one section you just didn't want to be on at anytime. It was creepy and it was always covered in glass as well.

Sorry if this topic has arisen before. If it has if someone could send me a link to it that would be helpful.

Lastly, is there a LBS that really stands above the rest? I have a cyclocross, a road, and a mountain bike that I baby with regular service.

Thanks for the tips. I'm sure I will have lots more questions once I start to explore my new habitat. Thanks for patience in the meantime.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Site Admin

Welcome to Portland, trekkingbadger. Since you work so close to the BTA, I would suggest you head there on your lunch hour. They are going to have just what you need to get oriented to bikey Portland and are full of friendly people.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Site Admin

Smile Come on over and visit us

Hi there, welcome to Portland. Feel free to come over and visit us in the Portland Building - 1120 SW 5th (Downtown) on the 8th floor. We give away bike maps and safety, law information. If you want you can give me a holler.

Cheers,

Janis McDonald
503-823-5358
janis.mcdonald@pdxtrans.org
Transportation Options

http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...ex.cfm?c=34809
Old 11-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Site Admin

Thanks. Will do.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:32 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingbadger View Post
I'll be working on NW Couch St skidding the Pearl boundary. As I search for permanent digs, are there any paths that a single woman cycling to/from work should watch out for in particular. Both from a crime/loose dog/traffic perspective?
You'll probably be fine; you sound new to the area, not new to using your eyes and ears and bikesense.

*I don't usually use any bike-route specific streets in the Pearl like I do on the Eastside. The need for stop-and-go is there nomatter what street you're on.
*The streetcar line runs on 10th and 11th which some people stay away from, because there's no shoulder between the track and the curb of the streetcar stop themselves. (And usually no handy ramp either).
*People tend to drive fast on the one-ways; down Everett and up Glisan. Be careful crossing them and on them as well.
*The biggest dogs you'll find in the Pearl are the ones who fit in purses and usually are so high-strung I've never seen one react nearly fast enough to nip a moving cyclist's heels.

I guess I do have my favorite streets - I take either 9th or 13th to go South and cross Burnside at either of those (13th has a light to cross with if you)