Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Women for Bikes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Site Admin

Arrow breast cancer and cycling

Hello, I am trying to find some information on the health benefits of cycling for women with breast cancer or to help prevent the cancer.

OR if there is a woman that can speak knowledgeably about the subject that would be even better!

I am joining a friend who is hosting an event for African American women who are breast cancer survivors. She rides a bike and wants to include cycling in the event. She is trying to get more AA women to see cycling as a viable means to stay healthy and to heal.

Cheers, Janis McDonald
janis.mcdonald@pdxtrans.org
Old 03-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Site Admin

Default bikeing for breasts

Hey Janis,
I know there has been research that shows exercise in general is beneficial for recovery from breast cancer, but don't know about cycling specifically. I would look up local personal trainers. There are many that specialize in breast cancer recovery. I know one trainer that specializes in breast cancer recovery is Nikki Becker at missfittadventures.com as does Nancy Petit at the Multnomah Athletic Club. They would probably be your best bet in finding info on that. There is an RN named Sue on the Wasabi Dragonboat team they may be able to point you in the right direction. There is also a whole Dragonboat team of survivors, teamsoar.org. Also have you looked at contacted people that hold biking benefit rides for breast cancer? If they don't have the info then maybe they can point you in the right direction. Wish I had more specifics for you, but maybe these leads will help. Best of luck.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Site Admin

Default Thanks!

Excellent. Thank you for the names and information.

Cheers, Janis
Old 03-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Site Admin

Default Biking and breast cancer

For a ride benefiting breast cancer research, try http://www.wewillbecausewecan.org/index.htm. Most riders are survivors. I bet you could find somebody with some good information through them.

Jean M.