Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Women for Bikes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Site Admin

Talking River Ride this Sunday!

Over the rivers and through the woods! Calling all ladies who would like to go for a cruise this Sunday morning. It will be approximately 35 miles along the Willamette and Clackamas Rivers, not too hilly but enough to keep you warm. We're venturing out onto the roads rain or shine, meeting up at 9:00 am on the Esplanade at the East Side of the Hawthorne bridge. We will be happy to accommodate various pedaling speeds, as we've got a range of riders.

If you'd like to check out the route, it is #2 in the Rubber to Road: Volume Two book put out by the BTA. I'll bring maps to pass out to anyone that would like to come. All are welcome, so come on down, meet some new friends and bring some old ones with ya, and let's ride

Call Rebecca (503)-970-6283 for details or more info.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:51 PM
Site Admin

Thumbs up a big THANK YOU

Rebecca, thank you for organizing the great ride this morning. NO RAIN- yea! I really enjoyed riding with all you ladies. When I get back from Texas I would love to join you again. This is exactly what I had hoped for when I set up this forum. Cheers!
Old 01-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Site Admin

Smile Coffee Bikeride

Hey Ladies,
Driven by the lure of caffeine, a group of us are taking to the streets to join up with the Portland Wheelman this Sunday, January 7. Here's the basics:

Winter Coffee Ride: Distance 15-25 miles. Leaves at
11:00 a.m. from the Tri-Met Park & Ride, NE 96th &
Sandy Blvd. Join us on these moderately paced group
rides around the Portland/Vancouver area that feature
a stop at a local coffee shop somewhere along the
route.

This is a Wheelman ride and you can get more info from their website; we just wanted to let any interested ladies know that there will be some good female company along for the ride. So come on out! And feel free to respond to this post if you'd like to get together a little before the ride to meet some fellow bikers and make some riding friends.
Cheers!
Old 02-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Site Admin

Question Would we benefit from a coalition?

I attended the Coalition for a Livable Future's fundraiser on Friday and it got me thinking a bit. It was amazing to see what was going on among the coalition members and to see the progress they've made by getting together to talk over issues.

So, I ask - would we (women cyclists) benefit from a coalition? There are things that Janis(PDOT) does, things that retailers do, things that non-profits do, and things that racing teams do. Some of those things are very different but many overlap. What if we had representatives from all of those groups (and more) meet to talk about how to resolve issues surrounding women on bikes? Would we make quicker progress, learn from each others successes and challenges, reach more people, and/or be more efficient with our limited resources?

Don't know the answer myself so I'm very interested in what others think.
cheers,
b
Old 02-05-2007, 09:17 AM
The Management
Site Admin

I'm a big fan of coalitions. I believe that the simple fact of people being aware of related things is very powerful.

Before I started bikeportland.org, I realized all this great stuff was going on, but many groups had no idea what the other was doing. Put it all in one place, and you've got something very powerful!

I love synergy and connecting people with similar goals...that's the power of coalitions.

But they take someone who believes in their vision and who is willing to sacrifice their time to make things better for everyone....
Old 02-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Site Admin

Default SpokesWomen - Riding for (a) change

A couple of years ago I chatted with some friends about the idea of creating a group of women that would get together to discuss women and cycling plus how to pull together the bike community.

Maybe it is time for me to revisit the idea. I have a list of women that are very strong in a variety of cycling avenues. I was thinking of hosting a potluck dinner and have some serious discussions.

I agree with both of you that knowing what is going on strengthens the community. That is why I created the Resource Guide.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Site Admin

Jonathan, thanks for your reply. My thinking is in line with yours; I do think it could be beneficial and am anxious to see what others think. Perhaps the question that I didn't ask "Who's interested in helping me get this off the ground?" also needs to be quieried at this point.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Site Admin

Default Message to Red Robin

Hi Robin, I couldn't get your email to work. You are going to LOVE Portland. You can ride your bike for miles and miles and miles around here. Plus there are all types and ages of people that ride here. And I am sure that a few have IT injuries.

If you want to have a discussion on training with the injury I would suggest putting it on the forum - you could even do the general forum so you get more advice.

Keep in touch. Cheers, Janis
Old 04-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Site Admin

Default Old Posts - little house cleaning...

Hi there I moved some of the posts that are "old" to this folder. I didn't delete them just in case someone wanted to read them or contact the posters. Cheers, Janis