Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Banned
Site Admin

Default SE Portland to Tigard route?

I have the Bike There map, but was wondering if someone can offer suggestions for their best commuting route from close-in SE Portland to Tigard. My wife is interested in giving it a try, but is a little timid still. My experiment from Tigartd had me going to Lake O via Carman and Country Club and over to the east side via Oregon City (I was in no hurry and like the east side ride). I'd expect something via Terwilliger may be better? I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Greg
Old 01-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Banned
Site Admin

I've been thinking about this myself. From the east side, there are good routes to go east (Marine Drive, Springwater), southeast (Springwater), or south (Oaks Bottom-17th-River Road). When you start trying to go west, it gets harder.

Terwilliger is very nice to ride on, and is a fairly decent grade. I am told that the city is looking at ways to make Capitol Highway more bike friendly, which would take you from Hillsdale to Barbur. That's not a bad way to go.

Another option might be to go up through Riverview Cemetery, and then find your way along Taylor's Ferry road. That gets all your climbing out of the way up front, but I don't think Taylor's Ferry is too friendly. There might be some good side streets around there, though.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Site Admin

My commute takes me from NE to 72nd and Bonita in Tigard. Typically the best route is on to Broadway, through downtown, and on to Terwilliger. From there I take Barbur to 72nd. On the way back I tend to wind up some back roads by PCC, then on to Barbur, but skip Terwilliger.

Problem spots:

1) Taking the left onto Terwilliger , mostly crossing a lane of traffic from the bike lane to the left turn lane, shortly after the blind corner.

2) A couple sections of Barbur are tricky as the bike lane is not continuous, and near 72nd there is no bike lane at all.

3) Northbound on Barbur just before reaching downtown can also be hard as Barbur forks to downtown and the Ross Island bridge. There is a pedestrian crossing but it takes forever due to high traffic volume.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:04 AM
Site Admin

I guess it depends on what you mean by "close in" SE. I work in Tigard (68th, just south of Barbur) and used to live on SE 13th and Taylor. I would hop across the Hawthorne bridge to Broadway, then pick up Barbur and it was as easy as that (I guess maybe you have to ride a bit of Terwilliger to get up to Barbur??).

Now I'm up in the Alberta area and come down to the Broadway Bridge and then up to Barbur.

It's a pretty safe route with bike lanes the entire way, with the exception of a few bridges. And the bike lane ends at about 68th in Tigard. The one thing to look out for are the TONS of cars entering and exiting Barbur at all times. I carry plenty of lights and ride slower than normal on the downhill portion.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Site Admin

Default Route through LO

I commute from inner SE (37th and Lincoln) to Wilsonville a few times a week.
Usually I take the bike path along Oaks Bottom to the Sellwood bridge, up riverview cemetary then down Terwilliger to LO. From there I go along Iron Mountain to upper drive untill it hits Lower Boones Ferry. If you are going to Tigard you could take Washingon (first light after upper hits Boones Ferry) and then a soft right to Lake Forest Drive. Lake Forest intersects Carmen right above the exit which takes you into the 72nd area. All the roads are surface streets barring Terwilliger (there is an available bike path), and Carmen.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Site Admin

Default SE Portland to Tigard

The bike lane on Barbur leaves a lot to be desired--lots of pebbles and broken glass, in addition to the strip-mall vibe. Unfortunately, there aren't any other good routes. Boones Ferry would is a great candidate for a bike lane, but until then, I'm not willing to risk my neck on the blind curves.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:43 PM
Site Admin

Default bike-route-webpate

For those of you biking to Tigard. If you would be interested in taking some photos along your route (preferably with bikes in them) I would be happy to post it on my Portland Virtual Tour site.
www.thecornucopia.org/virt-tour.htm

I have only one SW route and that takes you to Sunset Transit Center.
Happy Biking

I usually take the bus from downtown to Tigard and then bike to my destination.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Site Admin

Hey Greg, I've been commuting from near Mt. Tabor to SW Hall & Durham in Tigard for about 9 months. After some trial and error, I've settled on a nice route taking Lincoln down to Hawthorne and into downtown. Then I head out Naito/Barbur up to Multnomah Blvd. and head west. I take a left on SW 72nd and make my way through the neighborhoods (SW 80th has a nice bike lane) to SW Hall Blvd and south to work. On the way home, I reverse it, but continue on Mult Blvd to the end where it turns into a partial freeway onramp, but also has a bike lane that continues to Terwilliger. Left on Terwilliger all the way to downtown, back across the Hawthorne Bridge, and home free. Might work for you, it's worth a try.

bikejunkie, great idea for a website. I'll see if I can get some pictures for you.