Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > All About the West Side
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Site Admin

Again today, I rode westbound on Hall Blvd across Cedar Hills Blvd into and through the mall property to Hocken: I saw no signs informing road users that the street is private property. Whether there's a sign or not, posted to that effect, the official word from the city of Beaverton via the city traffic engineer, is that the street is private. City transportation engineer Jabra Kasho's answer:

"Hall Boulevard between Cedar Hills Boulevard and Hocken Avenue is a private street. Cedar Hills Crossing shopping center maintains the street and all traffic control devices on it. On public streets, by State Statutes, the speed limit in business districts is 20 mph in the absence of posted speed signs. Thanks, Jabra"
(Below is what I originally sent him.):

Jabra,

Question, re; Section of Hall Blvd between Cedar Hills Blvd and Hocken Ave. You're probably familiar with it...it's a two-lane affair, cuts through Cedar Hills Crossing property. Is this section of Hall Blvd (it's marked 'Hall' on the Beav Bike Map) considered a city street which the city has responsibility to equip with traffic controls as needed; stop signs, crosswalks, etc? Or is this section of Hall Blvd considered private property which the mall has authorization to decide what traffic controls are or aren't needed for safety purposes?

Some of us on the local forum have noticed some things about this section of Hall, that we feel make crossing the street and riding bikes along it perhaps unnecessarily hazardous.

1) Example: westbound traffic at the crosswalk for New Seasons grocery store has no stop sign. Not having a stop sign at the crosswalk makes it tough on pedestrians trying to get traffic stopped so they can safely cross.

2) Example: lane width of Hall Blvd for wesbound traffic from CHB onward, narrows abruptly after the first stop sign equipped intersection. This unsigned lane width reduction puts at hazard, bike traffic traveling in a position to the right of the lane, as it's obliged to merge with adjoining lane traffic into the narrower width of the street past this intersection. Perhaps a 'Bikes may take the lane', or 'Merge' sign could help here.

3) Example: We notice the street does not have a posted speed limit. Since Hall Blvd became a through street across mall property, through traffic often seems want to go excessively fast for the level of pedestrian activity that goes on in this shopping, dining, entertainment mall area.

We're wondering what the speed limit is for this section of Hall Blvd, and if people with the city have some thoughts about what it should be. Given the increasing amounts of foot traffic occurring there, 20 mph posted, or even 15 mph, sounds good to us.

It's been awhile, but I've talked with you before...you helped get the catch basin grate on Hall Blvd near the light rail tracks reset. Thanks again for that. I know you're a busy guy, but if you think you can offer any thoughts about the above questions the group has, we would welcome them.

This seems to mean that anybody not happy with the way the street and its traffic controls are working, is going to have to take it up with mall management, at least in part.

Incidentally...today as I approached and began to ride westbound through the first Hall Blvd intersection (no stop sign for me) on this private section of the street, there was an older white minivan on the east side of the intersection(stop sign for the minivan), struggling to creep past the stop sign to catch a break in Hall Blvd's heavy traffic. Moving slow, driver saw me and stopped abruptly before a close call occurred. Of course, the minivan is still stuck at the intersection waiting for a break in traffic so it can enter Hall.

I went about 35'-55' further, pulled to the curb, onto the sidewalk, to spend a few moments to see how long it would take the minivan to get onto Hall. Mini-van anxiously starts out again, stops...small crunch... . Black sedan in back rear-ended white mini-van. As is not uncommon in such situations: drivers get out, loud cursing. Fortunately at such a low speed, no significant damage. No blows thrown, they get in their vehicles and drive their separate ways.

Last edited by wsbob; 08-01-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Site Admin

There was a private road sign; it could be gone by now. Things change. I commuted through there every day for well over a year, not likely I imagined it. It might have been on the eastbound side of the road.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnef View Post
There was a private road sign; it could be gone by now. Things change. I commuted through there every day for well over a year, not likely I imagined it. It might have been on the eastbound side of the road.

I doubt you imagined the existence of a 'private road' sign for Hall Blvd through the mall property. I'll check eastbound one of these days. Someone may have taken the sign down. Maybe mall management isn't even aware. The situation regarding this section of the road is kind of amusing to me...as long as someone, or myself doesn't get hurt because of the way responsibility for maintaining the road is being handled.

It's strange to me that the road would be considered a private road, when first hand use of the road, or observation of how the road indisputably is being used, indicates this section of Hall has been pressed into service as part of a through city or county street (have to check the city map to see whether mall property is within Beaverton city limits.).
Old 08-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Site Admin

Today, on the private road section of Hall Blvd crossing over the mall's property, I sighted two of the 'Private Property/Use by Permission of Owner' signs Lynnef has reported seeing.

Dimensions of the signs are about 10" by 12", brown background with pale yellow lettering, pole mounted. Both are located roughly 30' west of the crosswalk serving New Seasons grocery, one for west bound traffic, one for east bound traffic, and about 150' from Millikan. I'm guessing the total length of Hall Blvd across the mall's property, is about 500'.