Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Site Admin

When I took Traffic Skills 101 (League of American Bicyclists course), they recommended 3 seconds and BIG motions. None of this casual little signal thing
Old 12-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnef View Post
When I took Traffic Skills 101 (League of American Bicyclists course), they recommended 3 seconds and BIG motions. None of this casual little signal thing

Absolutely; back upright, for right and left turns: arms up and away from the body, straight out on a line parallel to the ground if possible.

Riding a road bike, signaling with the left arm, have the bar-hand on the right brake hood, feathering the rear brake, being ready to drop the left hand down on the left brake hood in the event the need for a shorter stop arises. There is a certain skill developed from practice that's required for being able to safely and effectively brake a bike with one hand on the bar...certain types of bikes more than others.

It's not overly hard to do though, and most people should be able to manage. This is the encouragement I'd hope they get if they have doubts.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
Commonly known as brake steer...
I really need to try out a tadpole, they just look like too much fun!

My wife loves her EZ-3 delta-style trike, and it's a comfortable, fun, stylish load-hauler, but not much on cornering. It also spins its rear-drive too easily on hills (like, over ~12%) since it only has one drive wheel and it has only one rear braking wheel (inboard disk). I was idly pondering fixes to that (mirror-image freewheel ratchets with the cogs mounted independently inboard) and how to manage braking on all three wheels. I came up with hydraulics for the rear wheels, with the disks mounted to the inboard side of the wheels. Hydraulics are self-balancing, so both rears could be actuated by one hand lever. The front could stay a V-brake, that's plenty of brake for that design. I don't plan to pursue those ideas, but I'd be surprised if that sort of hydraulic set-up (single master driving two slaves) hasn't been done already on a trike.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Site Admin

Actually, Alan, you can balance a pair of mechanical brakes with a single lever. They make those too. It uses a toggle to equal the load on both sides.

Go check out the great selection over at Coventry Cycleworks. They would be happy to have you sit on one or two... and maybe even send you out on a test drive.

And they also make differentials for Delta's. I'm sure Coventry has a few of those to look at too.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Site Admin

Oh yeah, I've seen those one-handed dual controls in catalogs but I hadn't considered them for a trike...should work, yes!

Long-time Coventry Cycleworks fans, here. That's where the EZ-3 came from and that's where I'll go when I eventually get around to a test riding a tadpole. I haven't seen a trike with a diff in it but I have heard they exist. I've also heard they are expensive, and some other downsides. I think a dual freewheel system would cost less (at some production volume), be lighter and more maintainable, and it directs power to either or both wheel with traction, unlike an open diff..but maybe trike diffs (planetary?) have some sort of "posi"??