Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Site Admin

Mmmhmm. There was some walking on McNamee last summer, but we'll just gloss over that. A nice guy working in his yard refilled our water bottles. We were done.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Site Admin

Default Hwy 30 to Skyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbob View Post
On the map, further out, I notice NW Johnson and NW Rocky Point Road. They're probably steep too. For a little break, I've got off and walked before. No big deal, especially on quiet roads.
I'd never go Cornelius Pass, too much traffic. I'd suggest Rocky Point, it's like someone else said, a constant climb, but a little out of town. Germantown is close to town, but really steep. If you don't want to venture down Hwy 30, go Germantown. I haven't been up Logie Trail, but it seems wicked steep when I've gone down it.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Site Admin

One primary advantage of a trike... weebles wobble but they don't fall down.
2 miles is a simple reference since that use to be my commute. I could easily walk that if needed, or just enjoy a granny climb at 2mph.

I had to check... ever found yourself on Nora Rd west of 155th? It has a sign that stated 12% grade... if you check the true grade, it hits 18%! ...And it too is only a half mile long. I think I can handle that.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Site Admin

Just an update...

Today I did Newberry from hwy 30 after about 40 miles of meandering around town. The 1st mile is brutal... the second mile is much better. Plenty of turn-outs but watch out for the Beemers testing their road prowess. You can usualy hear them coming up giving you time to signal.

I had more issues with Cornelius Pass once I got off Skyline. RELENTLESS DRIVERS! No shoulder to speak of. I should have taken Old Cornelius Pass. It was a nice 38mph extended descent once I gave up and just went for it. But you end up climbing just before Germantown. Drivers just don't want bikes on their little Autobahn! I think it is time for some enforcement.

I did duck off this madness at Germantown and rolled down 185th. Still a lot of impatient drivers but at least it was a rural country road with good visibility. They couldn't hold to big a grudge.

I'm glad I had maps! ...and that I remembered I had maps. Newberry is at the very top of the Washington Co. bike map and the little Portland bike map cuts off at the St. John's bridge. I was starting to feel really lost when I saw the Sauvie Island sign and that is when I saw Newberry across the street.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:57 PM
Site Admin

Fresh off of riding the eastside on Saturday:

Cornelius Pass: not very fast, definitely busy, and it's two lanes with textured edges, and no shoulder to speak of, and it's not very fast. When there's six cars behind stuck behind you as the grade levels out, taking the lane isn't a realistic option. Can't even imagine the climb. Fool me once…

Rocky Point: I've been down, only once. It's kind of wild and the patched-up pavement looks a little sketchy, so take it easy and enjoy the view. It might be the only time you're grateful for clear cut forests.

Logie Trail: rode it a couple of times, but only going up. The second half really turns up the screws. I suffer every time.

McNamee: an enigma. Longer than the other eastside roads, the average grade is gentler, but only because it undulates. Even the descent feels like a climb.

Germantown/Cornell: we're out on a joyride, just like the Bimmer crowd. Why can't we just help each other out? When I hear one coming from behind, I adjust my line if there's room, or signal if it's safe to cut the corner.

And it's probably stating the obvious to say that I prefer to ride Skyline north, then use US30 inbound to avoid having to cross it. Riding alongside is unpleasant enough.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Site Admin

Since I live right off Corn pass... it really is a nice option to hit up Sauvie Isle if it was bike friendly.

The only route not mentioned was Old Corn Pass. Haven't done it recently but that was my error when I came off Skyline.

So the trek for me could be 185th to Germantown and Old Corn Pass to Skyline... and then down McNamee or Newberry. Rinse, repeat or mix it up for the ride back.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/93014909
Old 07-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
The only route not mentioned was Old Corn Pass. Haven't done it recently but that was my error when I came off Skyline.

So the trek for me could be 185th to Germantown and Old Corn Pass to Skyline... and then down McNamee or Newberry. Rinse, repeat or mix it up for the ride back.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/93014909
Word of Warning on Old Cornelius Pass- ODOT, or someone, is doing road repair on it right now, so it may be inaccessible heading to Skyline.

Another route would be 185th to West Union, east on West Union and head up Thompson. Left on Thompson and down either Newberry or MacNamee. Have new brake pads for either of those routes down!
Old 07-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Site Admin

We just completed a ride where we rode up Newberry, and then dropped back onto Hwy 30 on Rocky Point. Great fun! The eventual return took us up NW Springville from NW 185th, dropping down NW Germantown into PDX, to cross the St Johns Bridge.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:36 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnef View Post
We just completed a ride where we rode up Newberry, and then dropped back onto Hwy 30 on Rocky Point. Great fun! The eventual return took us up NW Springville from NW 185th, dropping down NW Germantown into PDX, to cross the St Johns Bridge.
Holy Cow! Lynne, you sure like to climb, don't you?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:41 AM
Site Admin

I am a randonneur. Comes with the territory. I am rather fonder of long gradual climbs than a lot of short up and down.

Read all about it here