Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Site Admin

Talking Upper Fanno Creek Now Open!

The sewage spill has been contained and the bike path (MUP) is now open!!!

The stretch of the path I am referring is between 81st and 84th Avenues, off of Garden home!

I no longer have to ride on scary Garden home, hurray!!

Last edited by Dovestrobe; 08-25-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:19 AM
Site Admin

Default Portland BES designing a new pumping station next to the old one

At least for now, the trail is open. However, on Friday I got an following email from Stephen Sykes of the City of Portland Environmental Services. The email says:

Quote:
Hello,

You are receiving this email because you have expressed interest in receiving updates related to Environmental Services' proposal to build a new sewage pump station in the vicinity of the existing Fanno Pump Station on SW 86th Avenue. The new pump station will be designed to meet state requirements that require all pump stations to have the capacity to pump peak wastewater flows from a large winter storm event.

The City of Portland recently purchased the property at 7000 SW Caroland Road as the site of the proposed new pump station and has begun preliminary design. Project staff will spend the next several weeks performing a variety of site assessments and inventories on the property in advance of developing alternative conceptual site plans for the proposed facility. The project work plan and schedule are in the process of being drafted. In general, the project will be in design for the rest of 2011 and most of 2012. Environmental Services expects to apply to Washington County for a land use permit in spring 2012. Currently, the project staff anticipates advertising the project for construction bids, pending the acquisition of all required permits and approvals, in early 2013. Construction could begin in summer 2013 and continue into early 2015. Interested parties will receive more schedule details as they are confirmed.

Through 2011, neighborhood residents and trail users may see additional activities at the SW Caroland Road property. The purchase agreement allows the former property owner to relocate a number of large plants and small trees from the property, several items from the existing structure, and portions of the fencing. While the city hasn't yet developed conceptual site plan alternatives, the project team does expect that the project will require removal of the existing residential structure before construction of a new pumping facility.

While the design process is just starting, the design team has been given direction with respect to some attributes of this project neighbors have expressed interest in. Specifically, the project manager has directed the design team to develop design alternatives that; a) orient the overall building structures furthest away from residential homes, b) incorporates structures that are roughly as tall as the adjacent homes around the property, and c) incorporates glass, metal, concrete, and other materials and features that will complement the architectural characteristics of the neighborhood.

Project staff, including members of the consultant team, plan to attend an upcoming CPO-3 meeting to discuss the project. Recipients of this email will be notified in advance of BES staff attendance at a CPO-3 meeting.

Thank you for your continued interest in this project and please respond to this email or call with any questions.

Regards,
Stephen Sykes

Stephen Sykes - Community Outreach and Public Involvement
City of Portland Environmental Services
1120 SW 5th Avenue Room 1000
Portland, OR 97204
phone: 503.823.7898
cell: 503.823.8341
fax: 503.823.6995

Note my new email address:
stephen.sykes@portlandoregon.gov
www.portlandonline.com/bes/
I sent Mr. Sykes an email asking whether this would mean additional trail closures.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:03 AM
Site Admin

Default Mr. Sykes reply re the second pump station versus trail closures

I wrote Mr. Sykes to ask if the second pump station would mean additional trail closures. Here's his reply:

Quote:
Hello Mr. Alford,

In response to your question, two pressure sewer pipes were installed during this most recent pressure line construction project. One of the two lines was installed in preparation for the proposed pump station to use when it is constructed. There will potentially be disruptions to the trail during the pump station construction project; but those potential disruptions aren't clear yet given the preliminary stage of design we are currently in.

I hope that is useful information.

Regards,
Stephen
Old 09-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Site Admin

Default More Fanno trail closures

Mr. Sykes wrote to me again back on September 9th:

Quote:
Fanno Trail Will Close Temporarily at SW 78^th, 82^nd, and 84^th Avenues for Additional Investigation and Testing of the Fanno Pressure Line

Date: September 9, 2011

Contact: Stephen Sykes, 503-823-7898, stephen.sykes@portlandoregon.gov

Environmental Services will be conducting further investigation and testing of the Garden Home section of the Fanno Pressure Sewer. Construction crews working for BES will expose sections of the pressure sewers where pipe access manways are located. In late July 2011 a weld located at an access manway leaked wastewater.*This segment of pipe was cut out and replaced. The pressure line has not been active since the leak was discovered.

Environmental Services has notified Tualatin Hills Park and Recreation District staff that segments of the trail will need to be closed beginning early next week.*Once the contractor begins excavating it will take approximately three weeks to perform the excavations, investigations, tests, and site restoration / paving. While the trail is closed, trail users will be detoured around the closure via neighborhood streets and / or the path on SW Garden Home Road.*

Environmental Services staff apologizes for this inconvenience while this important investigation is underway....
Anyone know if they have finished this current round of work?

--Seth
Old 09-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by setha View Post
Mr. Sykes wrote to me again back on September 9th:

Anyone know if they have finished this current round of work?

--Seth
I rode the trail the day before yesterday and it appeared that there might be some planned sewage excavation for this next week. My clue in this is that parts of the trail between 81st and 84th had been removed. Pavement had been removed in sections and gravel placed in its stead. Made for a kind of bumpy ride. So I anticipate more work this next week unfortunately. A little beyond the 84 SW exit heading south is a blind curve and I was greeted with a coned off, taped off section taking up half of the trail, not much warning prior. Whoever marked off the obstacle were not aware that cyclists would be riding faster than a pedestrian pace completing their turn and would have some difficulty maneuvering around a right hand obstacle taking up half of the MUP. Glad I had good brakes!

Last edited by Dovestrobe; 09-24-2011 at 07:42 PM.