Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 07:55 AM
Site Admin

Default Route to Cannon Beach

I want to ride to Cannon Beach. I can take the Banks-Vernonia Trail to Timber Road, but then there are roads I'm not familiar with, such as Airport Road, Koster Road, Boeck Ranch-Jeep Road, etc. Has anyone ever taken that route to Cannon Beach? For full details you can go here to see the route. Thanks for any advice on the condition of this route.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=portla...N&hl=en&tab=wl

DR
Old 08-17-2011, 10:01 AM
Site Admin

A real bike lane along US26 would be a very welcome upgrade!
I personally like that route if it wasn't for the few pinch points.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Site Admin

Looking to the future, if the Port of Tillamook Bay is never going to repair the rails over the Coast Range, perhaps the right of way could be converted to a cycle path some day. If main highways are the only other viable routes to the northern coast, I'll wait for that day.

Last edited by tvhwy; 08-23-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Site Admin

You might consider riding out Hwy 30 to Scappoose, taking the Scappoose-Vernonia Hwy to 47, to 202, to Fishhawk Falls Hwy, to Hwy 26, to 101...

If you're feeling strong and want a longer awsome ride, stay on 202 (instead of turning on Fishhawk Falls Hwy) to just short of Astoria, and cut over to Seaside via. the Olney Cutoff, Youngs River Rd., Tucker Creek Ln., Logan Rd., Lewis and Clark Rd., and south on 101 to Cannon Beach.

Or cut off US26 on Hwy 53 to Manzanita and go north on 101 (against prevailing winds and over a good hill) to Cannon Beach.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Site Admin

Default Port of Tillamook Bay Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvhwy View Post
Looking to the future, if the Port of Tillamook Bay is never going to repair the rails over the Coast Range, perhaps the right of way could be converted to a cycle path some day. If main highways are the only other viable routes to the northern coast, I'll wait for that day.
101 miles (including spurs) linking all the way in to Portland...that would really be nice! Photos and text on that POTB page explain that sections of the route would need substantial work, including earth moving, grading and bridges due to flood damage in 2007. Part of that same Port of Tillamook Bay rail system could also provide a bike/ped route along Hwy 101 near Garibaldi, where Dale Beacock lost his life earlier this month. From Google streetview photos I had the impression the line was abandoned but it seems that Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad still uses it for historic train tourist runs.

Last edited by Alan; 08-24-2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: html
Old 08-25-2011, 03:23 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
You might consider riding out Hwy 30 to Scappoose, taking the Scappoose-Vernonia Hwy to 47, to 202, to Fishhawk Falls Hwy, to Hwy 26, to 101...

If you're feeling strong and want a longer awsome ride, stay on 202 (instead of turning on Fishhawk Falls Hwy) to just short of Astoria, and cut over to Seaside via. the Olney Cutoff, Youngs River Rd., Tucker Creek Ln., Logan Rd., Lewis and Clark Rd., and south on 101 to Cannon Beach.

Or cut off US26 on Hwy 53 to Manzanita and go north on 101 (against prevailing winds and over a good hill) to Cannon Beach.
Thanks, I've done that route. Very pretty and fairly quiet. My riding partner and I were looking for something new. Too bad there aren't many ways to go to Seaside like there are to Pacific City.