Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Newbie Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourknees View Post
To secure your bike without a lock, if you have a road bike, put your brakes in the "open position" and adjust them for braking (before you are out for a ride). Then when you need to leave your bike on a ride and go inside, put the brakes in the "closed" position and it will clamp on to your wheel.

Couple this with putting the bike in your very highest or very lowest gear, someone won't be going anywhere very quickly.

This won't keep the bike from getting stolen as it can be picked up and carried, but it will slow down someone who thinks they'll just jump on and ride away.
I think it would be easier to just remove your front wheel and take it with you. Like you said, it could still be picked up and carried, but you wouldn't be able to ride it away at all.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Site Admin

Default Accomodations Will Vary - Be Choosy.

I never carry a lock. I hate carrying gear and packs. So... I simply won't shop or stop unless they let me bring my bike INSIDE. I want it with me. Arms length. Very comforting.

Lock or not I want my bike with me and in sight at all times. I don't want to park it on a rack so someone can scratch it up because it "adds character." I won't enjoy my experience at their establishment if I'm worrying over my ride.

I explain this while thanking the host or owner.

Most convenience store clerks are cool if I'm polite.

Cafe, diner or restaraunt - it's easier than you think - places that offer seating outside are typically more amenable. Many brew houses are cool if they aren't crowded.

I like to eat at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. on long rides - non-traditional eating hours. Who needs a crowd anyway - so plan accordingly.