Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2011, 06:41 AM
Site Admin

The mentioned routes are basically the way I go. I agree with LynneF it is pretty easy to just stay on Wilkesboro until it hits 47. Although one time I did turn on Aerts then left on Washington then followed a dirt path across a field then carried my bike over 2 sets of railroad tracks and ended up in a Banks housing development with a bike trail past the school and local roads out to 47 very near the Banks-Vernonia trailhead, but I only recommend that to very adventurous folks. Other roads to consider are Susbauer to either Kerkman (very low traffic) or Milne (gravel road) to Harrington to Wilkesboro. And instead of taking Leisty to Wren try the Bagley road loop that goes past the airport. Some of the houses adjacent to the airport have airplane hangars! I think all routes include short rides on busy roads with shoulders but I can't remember anything unpleasant about the ride at all. Also I can recommend a very good sandwhich/coffee shop in Banks on the west side of Main Street, Banks Trail Cafe. All routes, the cafe and even the dirt path I followed are easily tracked on Google maps.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Site Admin

I did the Bagley route... it turns to gravel. On a recumbent, this is very uncomfortable.

And I do agree, the short 47 trek under hwy 6 and through town is quite easy. I left Banks via the longer route along 47 south, and that was hair raising.
I did enjoy the Banks Rd. route though. Certainly worth a one time view.

Bank Rd.

Last edited by Simple Nature; 04-04-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Site Admin

Default Hillsboro to B-V trail route

dmc, here's the route from the City website - I think it's the same as the one shown on Bikely, but the map's easier to follow, with cues:

http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...36638&a=301633
(see route 1, map 1)
Old 04-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff View Post
dmc, here's the route from the City website - I think it's the same as the one shown on Bikely, but the map's easier to follow, with cues:

http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...36638&a=301633
(see route 1, map 1)
Excellent Jeff. Ty sir.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Site Admin

Today was my 3rd trip to the Banks-Vernonia trail. Made it to the Buxton trailhead where the trestle is (6.5 miles in from the Banks trailhead). This is the view from the equestrian trail:

I saw a lot of bikes on the trail today... did I see any of you?
I was on the yellow 3-wheel'd low-rider.

Last edited by Simple Nature; 04-23-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Site Admin

I am pretty sure you saw me. I thought that might be you.

The Banks-Vernonia trail is COMPLETELY paved from Banks to Vernonia. I hadn't ridden it since before the washouts years ago, and had difficulty recognizing once-familiar landmarks! I used to ride it when it was not paved (I could pretend I was doing real mountain biking ), and have vivid memories of the baby-head-sized rocks on the north side of Tophill.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Site Admin

Default Banks-Vernonia Trail Closed at Mile 5-6

I wanted to ride the trail yesterday, only to find the trail blocked at mile 5. Beware of this if you intend to go up that way this weekend. I don't know how long it's going to be out, and the state's site on the trail doesn't let you know.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:58 AM
Site Admin

There is a closure notice on the State Parks web page now:

"June 16, 2011 Note: The trail is closed between the Manning and Buxton trailheads at milepoint 5.5 (0.4 miles north of Pongratz Road) through June 30. Work is under way to repair a culvert 30 feet beneath the trail surface, and to repair a landslide. All trailheads remain open. "