Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2006, 09:45 AM
Site Admin

Default Amtrak station to Mt. Hood and Ancortes to Amtrak station

I'll be visiting Oregon (bike touring) in a week and I have the Portland bike map but there are a number of routes out of town (from the Amtrak station). I'll be heading to Mt Hood. Somebody told me to follow the Columbia gorge as opposed to taking Rt 26 out of town. Also, I'll be returning by way of the coast. I'm looking for a nice a scenic way both in and out of Portland.
Gretchen
Old 09-10-2006, 04:45 AM
Site Admin

Default Amtrak station to Mt. Hood

Would it make more sense to get off at the Vancouver, Washinton Amtrak station it looks less confusing. And to go over the 205 bridge.
Gretchen
Old 09-11-2006, 06:10 AM
Site Admin

Default Vancouver Amtrack Station

Coming through the Vancouver Amtrack station may be somewhat easier than the Portland station, however you would miss pedaling through Portland and its myriad of bike lanes. Don't get me wrong, the ride from downtown Vancouver to the 205 bridge is pretty, but isn't particularly well marked. And, I would only use this routing if you wanted to continue into the Gorge via Marine Drive (which you could also do from downtown Portland). I would let everyone on the thread know which route you were interested in and then we could all better help you around any problem spots.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:41 PM
Site Admin

Default Portland Amtrak

I decided to follow a route proposed by John Meier from phred users group. Taking broadway over the river and moving up toward the airport and out marine drive. Decided to follow the Columbia river to Hood River. Coming back from the coast I'll probably take route 30 if I have enough time to get to Astoria.
If anyone has a better route on the way back, let me know. I'm looking for scenic. A route on from Vernonia to Scappoose was suggested.
Gretchen