Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Site Admin

Default NW to PCC Rock Creek

Hi, I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on how to get from NW to PCC Rock Creek. The Bus/Max takes about an hour and a half and is not too pleasant. I would be up for taking the max to the zoo and going from there or something like that.
Thanks
D
Old 04-22-2008, 01:11 PM
Site Admin

This is the route that I'd take. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1826649

This may take just as long though, once you factor in the trip from your house to the zoo.
I'd also be careful on the last stretch on 185th. That can be a scary place to ride (or drive, for that matter).
Old 04-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Site Admin

Default Less Walker Road, Less 185th

I live near Nike, and I have some fine-tuning I would like to recommend out around the Murray interchange.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1826794

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 04-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Site Admin

thanks for the maps. I don't quite understand that site though. Are you indicating that I take the max to 185th and bike from there or is there a path that runs alongside sunset highway? What are the hills like on those routes. I have a pretty shambly bike at the moment and hills could be tough.
thanks
Dylan
Old 04-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Site Admin

Default another option

To get up to the Zoo would be a pretty big hill to climb, but you could take MAX to the Zoo, then follow the original posted route along 26 (there is a path that is not on the highway). Here is a link for yet another option from the west end of the Sunset path to PCC. There are no bike lanes on West Union, but I live right along there and ride portions of it almost every day with no problems.

I should also mention that the portion of the route that is just past the Sunset Shopping center on the map leads to a ped overpass that goes over 26 to the Sunset Transit center. You have to go down through the parking structure to get to the road that leads down to Barnes. If you were taking MAX to get to the Zoo anyway, you could just as easily stay on it until Sunset Transit (the next WB stop after the Zoo) and start biking from there.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1831370

Last edited by biciclero; 04-23-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Site Admin

Default Portland to Tanasbourne

try this route from portland to 185th then follow others' routes up to PCC
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...Portland138699