Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > Forum Admin > Notices & Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Site Admin

Question anybody else having trouble replying to articles?

whenever I click the [Reply] button in the comments on an article on the front page it hesitates, puts the reply text in the text box, then the reply text disappears... if I then type in the reply box and [Post] I end up posting a new message instead of a reply... I have to hit [Reply] twice for the reply text to stay so I can type below it and have it actually show up as a reply instead of a new post...

I'm using Firefox as my browser and this just started in the last week...

I saw somebody else that posted a new post that looked like it was supposed to be a reply and was thinking that I'm not the only one this is effecting...
Old 01-28-2013, 01:31 PM
Site Admin

Default BikePortland server response speed

There was some discussion on the front page of similar problems, the week before last. Thanks for bringing that discussion over here; better than hijacking a thread!

I noticed that the "Quote" button disappeared a couple weeks ago, so I think that Jonathan and/or his admin person are tweaking things. In fact, I now see that the quoted text you mention seems to be gone from the composition window. (It used to appear as a partial quote, first 20 words or so, in italics and slightly grayed-out chars, and it wasn't actually quoted in the reply, it was just displayed in the composition box.)

Clicking "Reply" seems to reload the whole page, and BikePortland page loads are quite slow for me in general, from a few seconds up to 30 seconds or so, at times. I think that's a big part of the matter, the server just isn't responding super-fast, and/or is delivering a big chunk of data. (Maybe more caching would help.) It's also possible there are some security configurations on the server which slow things down (security is good but sometimes slow/painful).

For several months, up to last week, I was seeing comments hang after I clicked "Post your comment." Sometimes the page reload would never complete, but if I forced a page reload, or opened another tab so I didn't risk losing my comments, I would find that my comment had already posted. It was as if the server was not sending a "finished" ack. That might be fixed, I'm not sure.

Also, as El Biciclero pointed out in that thread, the three dots in the bottom right of the composition window allow it to be dragged to a bigger size, so you can see your reply. "...just be careful you don't drag the right edge of it outside the larger comment area or the dots get clipped and you can't drag it back again. If that happens, the right edge of your text will be hidden as well."

I see the same things with FF on Mac, FF on Win, and IE on Win (all current). q`Tzal noted some wierd quirks with a mobile browser (Android?). I see slow loads even from text browsers and HTTP tools at other locations, too.

For the "hit [Reply] twice" thing, I suspect that the composition box will eventually open up if you wait long enough (minutes?), or it might time out if the server is too swamped with requests.

Just FYI from a Van, WA, Comcast line:

--- bikeportland.org ping statistics ---
12 packets transmitted, 12 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 61.293/62.917/66.660/1.368 ms

For comparison:

--- www.streetsblog.org ping statistics ---
14 packets transmitted, 14 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 64.148/70.002/79.615/5.137 ms

So, very similar ping times, yet Streetsblog loads much faster for me. I suspect the difference is the servers. I know that servers get pricey, especially as they get into high-performance levels, so I don't mean this as a complaint, just as info.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Site Admin

Question server response speed affecting article comment posting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
BikePortland page loads are quite slow for me in general, from a few seconds up to 30 seconds or so, at times. I think that's a big part of the matter
I think you're onto something there... I noticed the same thing with my post not showing and then I'd load it in a new window and it would be there...

it does seem that the speed of the server might be causing some issues with the way it's trying to deliver the UI before it can read the data and then it gets confused...

not sure what changed over the last week or two...
Old 02-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Site Admin

it's been a few weeks and this is still happening... it seems like it's become a permanent "feature" of the site... I wonder what changed that caused it to do this...
Old 02-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Site Admin

I've noticed another quirk. When I click "Reply" the whole page reloads before it takes me to the comment form. The first time, there's no indication in the comment form of the text from the post I'm replying to. I'm not sure if my reply will thread correctly under the replied post so I've taken to scrolling up to the post and clicking "Reply" again. Again the page reloads, but that time there will be partial quote of the replied post in the comment field, not a quote that appears in my reply, just a couple lines to indicate what I'm replying to. Sort of a nuisance but I haven't seen any threading problems with my replies, that way.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:12 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I'm not sure if my reply will thread correctly under the replied post so I've taken to scrolling up to the post and clicking "Reply" again.
that's what I, and I presume everybody, has to do in order for it to thread correctly...

just wondering why it's been broken for so long...
Old 02-26-2013, 08:36 AM
The Management
Site Admin

Default sorry for site bugs

hey guys,

I'm aware of this happening. It happens for me too!

The site is long overdue for some cleaning. Believe it or not I'm using the same basic code/theme that I found for free back in 2005! I have tried several times to make a major update/upgrade/redesign but with such a large database it's a huge undertaking and the project has been scrapped each time.

I am now hoping to embark on this task again. Unfortunately it will be expensive and I'm not sure I have the revenue room to do it right now. I'll have my Wordpress guy take a look at it in the meantime to see if there's not a quick fix.

Thanks for sharing the feedback.

--Jonathan