Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 11:17 PM
Site Admin

Default Central Clackistan to Troutdale

Thats my commute Say 224 and Lake to Tdale airport. I have tried a few ways and each has its limits:

205 path to Marine Drive- Stark, Washington and Glisan. Especially Glisan. Also some long ass hills. Takes my tired middle aged butt 2 hours. Also people smoking on the bike path at the MAX stations... Great make me want a smoke and slow me down. Also can be a real PITA if the wind on the river is against you.

205/Springwater/185th People in Gresham not so bike friendly. Shorter but heavy traffic. It takes me 1:40 but the constant fear of death makes it seem longer.

I am tempted to take Marine Dr to Interstate down to Elsplanade to Springwater but thats more of a tour than a commute- many miles out of my way.

I guess I should add that I am doing this in the dark both ways right now. Not everyday for sure but is there some way I havent thought of that is more user friendly? Times are on my cycle cross bike- seems like best speed I get on that thing over distance is 13-14MPH. Road bike I can get 16-19 depending on my mood but I need the XC bike at work for its loading capacity.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Site Admin

Just for fun I checked Google Maps recommendation, and they want you to take SE Lake to SE Harmony to SE Linwood north to the Springwater path. Head east on Springwater corridor, then North on Pleasant View Drive to the Fairview path, and east on NE Halsey. Have you tried that? Don't know that area all that well (especially at night!), but it seems worth a try.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Site Admin

Default best route?

i think Ron's got it sussed - I'd go I-205 path to Springwater to Gresham-Fairview trail to Halsey bike lanes to Troutdale. I'm sure you've got a good bright front light or 2, because it's dark out on the trails!

Here's the Gresham bike map link in case you need it:

http://greshamoregon.gov/live/gettin...e.aspx?id=3118
Old 12-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Site Admin

Like staring at the face of the sun bright

Some other parts of the commute-
that roundabout one way by I84 exit 17 if a nightmare. I started taking Marine Dr to avoid it, but yeah looking at the map and seeing the Gresham fairview trail I get it. Wish those filler sections were all built.

I usually head up Harmony to Fuller to Causey on my way out to avoid the mall traffic. Usually on the way back I head down Sunnyside on the bike path which is great till it just vanished at 82nd, and then down harmony to Lake. The hard part is the left turn onto Lake- traffic is going faster than I can bike downhill (and to be honest I am pretty beat at that point) but the left turn lane is about 5 minutes faster than using the crosswalk at the intersection (plus you get some inertia for the next hill/left turn ahead) so I usually squeeze over towards the bottom of the hill and slide over. Clackistan is bipolar- people are super nice in some places, super jerks in others, and most of the though streets have relatively high average speeds (35MPH) which makes every left turn a challenge. Many of the roads around here have zero shoulders and people drive pretty fast (Rusk, Aldercrest) . My wife says "all those signs say 'stop Portland Creep, but you are already here."
Old 12-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Site Admin

So thanks all your advice worked great 17.55 miles makes this the shortest route and only took me one and a half hours even with a heavy ass backpack of work gear.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Site Admin

Oh and taking spring water I go down to Linwood down to Lake. I wouldn't want to climb that hill but it sure is fun to go down!