View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Site Admin

Default not as rainy as it seems

Hi - yep those lovely raindrops are here to stay for a few months. BUT I have to say that luckily it doesn't rain ALL day long. Usually it only rains for a little while and then stops or becomes a mist. If you look at the past winter's weather you will see that it didn't actually rain every day BUT it threatened to do it. I think that is one of the reasons why people don't ride - because they believe it is going to rain.

With that being said - I don't leave my house during the fall/winter without my rain gear or at least a jacket. I hate being cold, but I do warm up fast on a bike.

I have learned to wear something on my head (in addition to my helmet), something covering my ears, a scarf, wool socks and a variety of gloves. I haven't really found a pair that works that good. I even tried "windstoppers" last year - I felt the wind.

I have a burley jacket that is great when it is REALLY cold or wet but I get sweaty inside. I prefer a wool sweater and a windproof vest when it isn't wet.

And I don't really enjoy my rainpants either - but I usually bike in my work clothes. Sometimes I will ride in lycra tights and just get wet - they dry pretty fast.

I hear that wool knee highs are a great way to keep warm. Basically you just have to play around with it.

Keep riding though because it really helps beat the blues. Janis